Forgive me for I have sinned...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been burning some Norway maple. Street plantings and then some that came up from seed from them.
Cuts easy, splits easy and is easy to carry an arm load . Doesn't seem to burn terribly hot, which can be a good thing sometimes. I never got any of it to go overnite, but then my stove is small so overnite requires late to bed, early to rise and oak.

I like norway maple. I would say its a medium burning hardwood. Not long not short.

burntime said:
Well 2 big truckloads and a 3/4 turck load. All in all I have split 2 face cords and a little to go. Free is good! So I officially have a start on next years wood!

Forgive my ignorance, but when you talk about a face cord, don't you need to specify the length of the pieces?

When I just want a little fire, I burn Japanese Maple

A face cord is 1/3 of a cord. As long as lxwxh make 1/3 of a cord it does not matter. Mine happen to be 16-19 inchs with the majority 18 +/-

Maple is our staple in Eastern Canada. I've been burning it for over 25 years. Just got a 12 cord tree length load of mostly maple, with some yellow and white birch mixed in. It all makes ash!

burntime said:
A face cord is 1/3 of a cord. As long as lxwxh make 1/3 of a cord it does not matter. Mine happen to be 16-19 inchs with the majority 18 +/-

I asked because I've seen definitions of a face cord being (essentially) something you stand in front of and "face" that is (typically) 4' high and 8' wide and that it's the length of the pieces of wood that vary. If you have pieces that are uniformly 18" long, you'll have 1/3 of a cord. If you have pieces 24" long, you'll have 1/2 of a cord. If you have pieces 4' long, you'll have a cord.

Spikem said:
If you have pieces that are uniformly 18" long, you'll have 1/3 of a cord...
By my old school math, a third of 48 inches is 16 inches.

LLigetfa said:
Spikem said:
If you have pieces that are uniformly 18" long, you'll have 1/3 of a cord...
By my old school math, a third of 48 inches is 16 inches.

Hah....I bet you used an abacus, ehh? I second the motion for 16".....

You guys are right, but my stove takes 18 inchs plus so I go a foot and a half. Plus you never overestimate what you have. I always go on the low side caust the top has those darn foot long whatchamacallits!!!

After burning strictly red and white oak for 4 or 5 years, I burned maple almost exclusively last winter. Much easier to get started as would be expected, but it burned longer than I would have thought. I'll use it to start fires now, instead of oak.

This Maple was easier to hand-split than red oak, easier still than the white oak I have around here. I got it from a tree guy on his way to the dump, so I'm not really sure if it was red or silver maple.

The bark comes off pretty easy after it's dried a few months, but not as easy as white oak bark. Burning it without the bark leaves more ash than my red or white oak, burning it with the bark, there's a great, big bunch of ash.

The maple dried quicker than my oak.

I give maple a thumbs up. I'll be burning more next year, mixed with oak.

I'll second everything Mo Heat said above. Maple is very easy to split, and it does season faster than Oak. I mostly burn Red Oak here, but I've started to like the Maples, too. Will certainly take most any I'm offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.