Forgive me !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gzecc said:
Smokein- Who in their right mind would pay that without a guarantee and then pay shipping?
Remember what WC Fields said!

don't know unless my area is cheaper for saws or the 10 percent discount I got or they just get caught up in the sale. Maybe all of the above and a new ebay credit card but it seems to happen with most of the stihl saws. Cant really think there all crazy but I was going to get a used one off there and it is just as cheep to buy new.

I don't know how much or how big you cut, but I have been pretty happy with my 029(MS290) 20" / MS 180 14" combo. I know that this is not the most impressive combo, but you would even have money left over. Maybe upgrade to the MS 390 for the few bucks for asome more power and the option to run a bigger bar. Neither of these are pro saws, but both should be fine for a firewood cutter. The 290 or 390 should be able to handle pretty big stuff and the 180 is nice and light for limbing or tree trimming at the house.

Monkey Wrench said:
Monkey Wrench said:
There comes a time in any persons life when he or she realizes that ..tommorrow might be Today!

Well, thats where I am.
I wants to go out with the best selection of Stihl Saws I can afford. I have $1000. max
My current saws are being donated to the local F.D>

I Just got a quote for $990. +tax
361 w/20 bar, and 260 pro 16'' bar.

Thanks for the replies, and info.
I went down today for a 2nd look.

Dang it, he made me an offer on a 660 w/ 20 and 36 bars someone ordered, and couldn't pay for.

Some one on this board asked. What do cut with your saw?

May I reply.

ANYTHING!!!

Monkey Wrench said:
Monkey Wrench said:
Monkey Wrench said:
There comes a time in any persons life when he or she realizes that ..tommorrow might be Today!

Well, thats where I am.
I wants to go out with the best selection of Stihl Saws I can afford. I have $1000. max
My current saws are being donated to the local F.D>

I Just got a quote for $990. +tax
361 w/20 bar, and 260 pro 16'' bar.

Thanks for the replies, and info.
I went down today for a 2nd look.

Dang it, he made me an offer on a 660 w/ 20 and 36 bars someone ordered, and couldn't pay for.

Some one on this board asked. What do cut with your saw?

May I reply.

ANYTHING!!!

if your cutting big wood 460/660 the way to go!

How can you say that the 460/660 is a good combo? You are running two large saws with no real value to switching between saws. Sure I can vote for one of them, but no way for each. How many trees are you cutting that are over 20" in diameter? I've cut plenty of wood but most are in the 16-20" range with a few being larger. This is in a health forest. Get something that you can cut those 8-14" limbs and trees and you will be much happier at the end of the day of tossing saws around. Go big and then go small, best 2 saw deal.
Most people (sorry if I step on toes here) don't understand cutting big wood. A 30+" oak is a scary tree to drop if you have nothing around it. It's alot of wood. I'd be very happy clearing trees in the 18-20" woods but still be leary. At this point this isn't "hey, I'm going to cut down a few trees" and falls into the know what I'm doing range.
If you can't cut with a 25" bar and a 14" you should start to think about a few more saws.
Hope this is a good saw set.
Chad

chad3 said:
How can you say that the 460/660 is a good combo? You are running two large saws with no real value to switching between saws. Sure I can vote for one of them, but no way for each. How many trees are you cutting that are over 20" in diameter? I've cut plenty of wood but most are in the 16-20" range with a few being larger. This is in a health forest. Get something that you can cut those 8-14" limbs and trees and you will be much happier at the end of the day of tossing saws around. Go big and then go small, best 2 saw deal.
Most people (sorry if I step on toes here) don't understand cutting big wood. A 30+" oak is a scary tree to drop if you have nothing around it. It's alot of wood. I'd be very happy clearing trees in the 18-20" woods but still be leary. At this point this isn't "hey, I'm going to cut down a few trees" and falls into the know what I'm doing range.
If you can't cut with a 25" bar and a 14" you should start to think about a few more saws.
Hope this is a good saw set.
Chad

lol wasnt talking about a combo one or the other will take of that 1000.00 bucks he talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.