Fossil fuel usage thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
How much dinosaurs have you cremated this year (propane, natural gas, oil, or electric)? I just got a fill up yesterday bringing my total to 75 gallons. The oil company came for the first time this winter in mid December, at which point I was down 25 gallons from full (they had topped us off the preceding March). Yesterday's fill was 50 gallons...at $4.09 a gallon :eek: I feel pretty good about it though since a fill up from empty (250 gallons) would be just over $1000 !!! I'm running low on firewood at this point, but I have a source of heavy oak pallets used for shipping sacks of concrete. They'll get me through this year. There's three cords ready to go for next year and three that I'm working through at the moment. Some of it will hopefully be ok by next January/February...

3% of a 500 tank of propane---- 15 of whatever they are!

Sad to report that we have burned quite a bit of propane this year. Don't have my receipts handy, but it must be 300+ gallons. My house is too drafty for the Fireview to keep up in single digit temps. We also have a couple medical conditions at the house this winter that have required warmer temps and also made it hard to keep up with the stove. Hoping we do better next winter. I can't imagine how much we would have burned without the stove in this weather.

Burned oil for 3 days during the ice storm in December, running the generator mornings and evenings, rather run the oil furnace than the Revolution on the gen ........... maybe 15 -20 gallons.

Zip. Just like every winter. Don't have anything that drinks dino wine. And the heat pump broke in the nineties.

I also have used ZIP The insurance company made me replace the oil tank 5 years ago
never got around to having any oil delivered but I've used 2 1/2 tons of pellets and
3 cubic cords of mixed maple and oak 2 cubic cords and 2 1/2 tons of pellets left .
Most I've burned in the last 5 years

Burnt 50 gallons of L.P. this winter. That's with temps of below 0°F for over a month. I book mine in the summer and this year it was $1.25 a gallon. Hardly worth the effort to prosses all the wood I do but I don't like reliying on the gas man for heat. But then I don't recall ever burning any dinosaurs neither. If any one can convince me that crude oil and its by products come from long dead critters I'll be glad to see the proof.

If any one can convince me that crude oil and its by products come from long dead critters I'll be glad to see the proof.

Really? :eek:

Yes I would! I happen to know an engineer who sets up rigs all over this planet. Most of which are floating in 1 ocean or another. Tell me how they can set up a rig over 300 to 1000 feet of water and then drill into the earths crust several more thousand feet and find oil? Them musta been some hole digging dinosaurs to get that deep. Logic and common sense makes it preposterous. Unless you buy into the media on the boob tube.

Reactions: BrotherBart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin A couple of Russian scientists came up with the idea in the 1850s, but the biogenic theory is the most widely accepted and supported by empirical evidence. The Abiogenic origin is mostly supported for political, rather than scientific reasons today, but this ain't the Ash Can so...

Retired from an oil company and I don't think it came from T-Rex either. But as a native Texan it will always be dinosaur wine to me. >>

And they have found a bunch of mighty big bones in the ground in Texas. ;lol

Yes I would! I happen to know an engineer who sets up rigs all over this planet. Most of which are floating in 1 ocean or another. Tell me how they can set up a rig over 300 to 1000 feet of water and then drill into the earths crust several more thousand feet and find oil? Them musta been some hole digging dinosaurs to get that deep. Logic and common sense makes it preposterous. Unless you buy into the media on the boob tube.

http://motorcitytimes.com/mct/2010/05/fossil-fuel-so-just-how-did-dinosaurs-get-5-miles-underground/

http://motorcitytimes.com/mct/2010/05/fossil-fuel-so-just-how-did-dinosaurs-get-5-miles-underground/

Mostly boring old algae that settled to the bottom of a shallow sea, and got buried by silt, a process we can still observe occurring today.

If you cook biomass without oxygen, the stuff that comes out, pyrolysis oil and gas, looks a lot like crude oil and natural gas. Same chemical reactions, just a billion times faster because of the higher heat.

Imagine how much dust would be on your furniture if you didn't clean for 100 million years. Even human cities from just 5000 years ago are often well buried or under shallow water.

330. gals. since 11/09/13.i've gone through my heating situation on other threads as to why. in dropping off a check to my oil the bookkeep told me they have folks filling up every two weeks I used to be in a similar situation with about 225 in three weeks. it has been very consistent since putting the stove in back in 2005.100-110 gals/mo..

330 gallon propane tank was sitting at 47% around Oct 1. Was getting curious cuz I've been out for work longer days than normal and the propane furnace has been picking up the slack. Checked today and I'm sitting pretty at 41%.
The propane must be kickin in just a time or 2 before I get home. Glad for that with current prices. Should be good till summer fill when prices normalize .

Status
Not open for further replies.