Found a bluebird flying around inside my stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianA

Oct 16, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I came home from work yesterday and heard a noise from the stove. I looked over and all my dogs went nuts pawing at the stove. I thought I was seeing things. Sure enough there was a little male bluebird fluttering around in there. I have a Super 27. The chimney cap is the kind with two bands running around it, no mesh. I would think he would have had to stuff himself through the cap and then down around the top of the baffle to get in there. Caught him by hand and he flew off with no issues. Has this ever happed to anyone else? Haven't had a fire in a few weeks.

Good to hear that he was alive. A recent posting didn't have such a nice outcome. I'd add a coarse screen (1/2 or 3/4") or at least cover the cap with a bag during the summer to prevent this from happening again.

The postings about bluebirds in the stoves really makes me wonder what it is about that type of bird that draws it to the chimney. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Maybe they're not to swift? :( (ducking) ==c

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
They are cavity nesters, probably looking for a place to call home for the summer.

I didn't realize it was that common for a bird to go into a woodstove chimney. Fireplace yup. I thought I had a good story. Definately going to buy a new cap. I'll check tomorrow morning to see how good of a sweeping he did.

Reactions: tfdchief
I didn't realize it was that common for a bird to go into a woodstove chimney. Fireplace yup. I thought I had a good story. Definately going to buy a new cap. I'll check tomorrow morning to see how good of a sweeping he did.
BrianA I am not sure it is that common. In forty years, I have had it happen once.

BrianA I am not sure it is that common. In forty years, I have had it happen once.

Do a search with birds and you'll find it hapens to someone every year, could be you need certain conditions to get one to take the journey down your liner but it seems we gets threads every spring on this.

Brian, rather than buying a new cap, can you put some hardware cloth up there to keep them out?

You sure it weren't a black bird?;lol

I guess I shouldnt be too surprised........I also have a bird in my Chimney flapping around....._g

My MIL had it happen last year. It took her, her friend, a laundry basket and a dip net to get the little guy out without making a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.