Found a Crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastera

Feeling the Heat
Sep 8, 2008
SE Mass
With the warm day I let the stove cool in order to sweep the chimney.

After cleaning everything up and getting ready to start it up, I noticed a crack...

Stove is only two years old so I wasn't expecting this. 100_0354.JPG100_0355.JPG

The Hampton HI200

I'll have to give the dealer a call to see if it will be covered - don't want to pull it as it is my main heat.

Sorry to see that its a beautiful stove ! Thats really in a bad spot too are you still using it right now ? I would recommend not if there is any other alternatives for heat !

Pete

The crack stops at the weld on the back and is about a 1/2" from the door gasket - the pictures make it look worse.

At least it's not super cold out this week - maybe I can get the dealer out to look at it. Will pull it if they can't get here quick.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
With the warm day I let the stove cool in order to sweep the chimney.

After cleaning everything up and getting ready to start it up, I noticed a crack...

Stove is only two years old so I wasn't expecting this.View attachment 91567View attachment 91568
Many stove manufactures offer a 5 year warranty which varies a bit. My Jotul had a cracked in the front door. No burn marks but I brought it in just before the 5 years and they replaced it. My stove is cast and I can't be sure if I didn't notice it before or it just happened from normal burning. Check your original purchase papers to be sure and of course the dealer. Only 2 years, you should be OK. It looks like it might have been a defect in the plate that expanded after an amount of burning. Then again, it could be a lot of other reasons also. Good luck!

I found a very similar crack in my Regency. I just drilled a small hole at the end of the crack and filled it with furnace cement.
So far it been fine.

WES999 our stoves share the same firebox

Two things I notice. Looks like the door gasket leaks maybe? Up in the left upper corner, can see the discoloration on the face plate.
The steel is looking like it is getting that white haze to it. May be an indicator of overfiring? How hot are you running that thing at?

Stove hasn't been over fired as far as I can know - the closest it had come is last year with some eco-blocks but the laser put it at around 650. The holes directly above the opening are the air wash - there is some whitening if the steel there but it seems it is mostly ash. I do run the stove 24/7 but it is damped down to about 3/4 closed most of the time

The door passes the dollar bill test in the area of the discoloring.

Status
Not open for further replies.