Found a great stove paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to say, maybe it could have been a warehouse storage issue. Now you have a direct line to report the batch number for some followup.
Yeah I'll be reaching out to them. I called there last spring/ winter when I was sorta miffed and spoke to a nice gal but got nowhere with them once they found out I lived in the East. they wanted me to direct all inquiries through their dealers.

It's all good. Sometimes I come off as kinda of a punk. Like I said in the OP, Stove Bright has its place in the industry. I like it when it works and will continue to use it. I got a call from Eugene, OR today in my voice mail, probably Forrest. I'll call them back when I have some time and find out what's up.

I realize there is a time lag coast to coast. Curious if I hadn't been indignant of the matter if I would have got a call from them at all.

I will say for the record I have never had any problems with any other colors from them ever. Just the 1990 and the 2330 which are essentially the same product.

Maybe my supplier gave me age old cans I don't know. I have about 10'of them in the shop that were DOA and never did anything and they are pressurized. So who knows.

The call was from me, Pete Bouchard.
Sorry I did not call you sooner.
I would be happy to speak with you.
It is important for me and others here at FORREST to speak with folks like you to learn as much as we can about improving our product and our service.

The call was from me, Pete Bouchard.
Sorry I did not call you sooner.
I would be happy to speak with you.
It is important for me and others here at FORREST to speak with folks like you to learn as much as we can about improving our product and our service.
Think about it this way, if the cans require special tips and tricks, they should be included with the purchase of the product. When I buy something and it doesn't work out of the gate, I'm upset. When I use that product to "fix" a stove that isn't mine and my customer put me in charge of its care and the paint konks out or worse....makes a mess that needs to be stripped and redone....well that just plain old sucks. If krylon sold cans of paint like that their dealers would kick their butts out. Just because you guys have done the work of matching colors and finishes of a niche market doesn't give license for the delivery systems (cans) ultra poor performance with some products. I mean you made a video highlighting the issues your paint has and how to overcome it. How about eliminating that problem?

My family has been in the paint trade for 90 years. I worked in a shop as a color master and mixed custom colors for a variety of consumer, industrial, and special purpose paints and finishes by eye cause I was less likely to make errors than the spectrometers. I know paint inside out up down and sideways and have been spending the better part of my life trying to avoid it.....truthfully.

The binder in your satin finishes is separating and forced into the draw tube under pressure. No amount of shaking is going to fix that cause the marble isn't in the drawtube. Without that binding agent you'd have a flat finish product. I don't know. That's your bag to sort out.

It's obviously an issue with the satin and i understand its difficult to achieve and preserve a satin finish that remains hard under extreme heating.

I used to have clients that would bring me Pantone charts and want these rich deep colors in flat finishes. I would tell them it cannot be done. That rich color comes from the metamberism, the refraction of color through a Lens or sheen but some how I'd work the impossible. Id have to use casein tints with an emulsifier. The finish wasn't flat but a nice matte.

Point being, solve my problem and you increase the value of your brand. Honestly, I think if the cans were shipped and stored upside down the problem would be averted.

Think about it this way, if the cans require special tips and tricks, they should be included with the purchase of the product. When I buy something and it doesn't work out of the gate, I'm upset. When I use that product to "fix" a stove that isn't mine and my customer put me in charge of its care and the paint konks out or worse....makes a mess that needs to be stripped and redone....well that just plain old sucks. If krylon sold cans of paint like that their dealers would kick their butts out. Just because you guys have done the work of matching colors and finishes of a niche market doesn't give license for the delivery systems (cans) ultra poor performance with some products. I mean you made a video highlighting the issues your paint has and how to overcome it. How about eliminating that problem?

My family has been in the paint trade for 90 years. I worked in a shop as a color master and mixed custom colors for a variety of consumer, industrial, and special purpose paints and finishes by eye cause I was less likely to make errors than the spectrometers. I know paint inside out up down and sideways and have been spending the better part of my life trying to avoid it.....truthfully.

The binder in your satin finishes is separating and forced into the draw tube under pressure. No amount of shaking is going to fix th
at cause the marble isn't in the drawtube. Without that binding agent you'd have a flat finish product. I don't know. That's your bag to sort out.

It's obviously an issue with the satin and i understand its difficult to achieve and preserve a satin finish that remains hard under extreme heating.

I used to have clients that would bring me Pantone charts and want these rich deep colors in flat finishes. I would tell them it cannot be done. That rich color comes from the metamberism, the refraction of color through a Lens or sheen but some how I'd work the impossible. Id have to use casein tints with an emulsifier. The finish wasn't flat but a nice matte.

Point being, solve my problem and you increase the value of your brand. Honestly, I think if the cans were shipped and stored upside down the problem would be averted.

Again, I am sorry you are frustrated with the aerosol paint you have received from Stove Bright.

I have worked with many professional installers and chimney sweeps over the years. To a person they are pleased to have the tip packet as a resource. Many tell me that before they load their truck for a service call they will take two minutes to be sure the can of paint sprays, and correct any issues at the shop before they leave.

I understand that your experience with the product has led you to the conclusion that it is a major issue for others. Honestly it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.