Found a Makita/Dolmar 6401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deck2

Burning Hunk
Aug 1, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
Have been checking for the elusive home depot-used chainsaw for sale for the last few months to pick up a saw and last night I was walking around HD and found a 6401 for $249, I asked some questions and the salesman looked up some info on it they have had it for a little over 2 years and it had been rented 8 times--had a new 20 inch bar and chain. It had been sitting for nearly 10 months, asked if I could start it up and he put some gas in it and away it went.

So I have now been bitten by the Makita-Dolmar bug hope I like this as much as the Fiskars Super Spliter.

64cc pro saw for 250.00 whats not to like?

Mine came with some form of saftey chain on it. I keep the safety chain handy for dirty wood or yard trees that may have nails ; )

The saw really came to life with good chain; Stihl RSC or Oregon. I'm running a 20" bar with Oregon 72LGX-72 right now and I like it.

Your going to like it!

I wish HD rented/sold those in Canada. All they have here are Echo.

Good score...heck, I would pay that plus shipping!!

I have been using a borrowed Stihl MS310 for the last 3yrs., we are moving to property with acrage and it is time to get my own saw, I have been looking at a Stihl 290 or 311 or a Husky 455 but I was willing to try the Makita for this price. Only thing I am concerned with is not having a dealer/repair shop near by

deck2 said:
I have been using a borrowed Stihl MS310 for the last 3yrs., we are moving to property with acrage and it is time to get my own saw, I have been looking at a Stihl 290 or 311 or a Husky 455 but I was willing to try the Makita for this price. Only thing I am concerned with is not having a dealer/repair shop near by

At that price run it like you stold it. Sell for parts saw if you could ever break it. (fuel filter spark plug) Internet. If you could kill it "in stock forum" Be Proud! Several 100 cords before its going down.

You are lucky. HD does not sell saws around here. They won't even sell a broken saw, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
You are lucky. HD does not sell saws around here. They won't even sell a broken saw, Randy

Same here. They don't even have rental departments here. Prolly due to the number of saw shops.

My local HD does not do tool rental, only the 1 ton flatbed delivery trucks. Been casualyl looking for one of these deals for a couple years...eventually I'll find one.

Only 8 rentals? Holy you know what. That is a great deal and you will love that saw. Do your regular maintenance and that saw will probably outlast you!

Reminds me I need to start a new round of harassing the local HD's after last month's "it's for sale" ... "now it's not" shenanigans.

Congrats, awesome saw, just put a new 22" bar and chain on mine and it's incredible. Got some other changes coming soon which I'll post seperately:)

BTW folks - the Toolking retail store here in Lakewood has some refurb 6401s for $350. Probably get one shipped for $370?

Been a couple of months since I have been on with the move to the new place and a new job, So the 6401 has become a great addition to the tool.collection, Like it more than the Stihl 310 I used to use. Have cut about 3 cords with it so far and I have yet to get it into a piece of wood that it didnt like. I was wondering if it would live up to the hype that has been created on Hearth.com and I can say it has, just as my fiskars has.

I got one new back when they were 4 bills on ebay. It's been flawless and is my go to saw when I need to buck anything larger than 10" dia.
Like it better than my MS361 which was a bunch more $$.

I think there's some funny business going on locally. When I go in the low-level guys tell me they have too many of the Makitas and need to sell some, but it's always "talk to the manager". And when I do, there's never any for sale. I've called 4 different HD stores every month. Meanwhile used Makitas show up for $350 on craiglist (presumably bought for $200 at HD). I'm starting to feel a little like Ahab.

four used ones here on CL for 350-399 each. seems stiff.
New ones from Baileys were 500 I think.

Been looking for one forever for my son. He likes mine.
Our local rental will not sell striaght gassed or damaged, those go to a crusher. sad, as that is what I would prefer.

Mine was ex rental with the OEM 79cc top end conversion. I have no direct experience with the big block 84cc china kit, prefer the Mahle OEM.

64cc is ok, really good and smooth saw, but I think rather unremarkable. Many good saws at that weight and power. However, when you talk 79cc at the same weight, 20 inch bar, 8 pin rim, major fun factor.

The big air filter kit is worth it. Maybe not on 64cc as the air flow rate is less. I don't notice any power change with big filter, but the reduced dirt migration and increased cleaning intervals are noticeable.

keep searching, good luck.

deck2 said:
Been a couple of months since I have been on with the move to the new place and a new job, So the 6401 has become a great addition to the tool.collection, Like it more than the Stihl 310 I used to use. Have cut about 3 cords with it so far and I have yet to get it into a piece of wood that it didnt like. I was wondering if it would live up to the hype that has been created on Hearth.com and I can say it has, just as my fiskars has.

I dropped the 79cc Mahle P&C and HD air kit on mine and wow! She's a beast! Actually just sold my 026 since I never use it anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.