Found a new source of air leakage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
As I was messing around in the rim joist area trying to squeeze in some foam board in the corner where the electric panel is (btw, there's no way that stuff is fitting in there), I noticed that the big conduit bringing the main power into the panel was wet, and dripping.

It turns out there doesn't appear to be any duct seal in the conduit.
The cold air was pouring in.

My plan is to put some duct seal in the end of the conduit in the panel.
Maybe some spray foam, or some other insulation on the outside of the conduit run from the rim joist to the panel.

Would foam keep water out better than caulk?

How did you make out in the ice storm? I was able to scrounge enough for next year.

Matt

Had the same problem, 16 oz can of great stuff is $5 at Home Cheapo. There is a formula for filling big gaps. You don't want to get that stuff on your hands though, I'm much the wiser after smoothing some beads with bare fingers a year ago, not a good idea!

Go find the other end of the conduit on the pole and seal that end. May wanna try and carefully shopvac it out, over time the water in the pipe will break down the insulation on the wire. Changed a couple of services because because of this.

If need be contact the power company, this may be their problem depending on the local company.

Thanks for the replies.
I got some duct seal (a clay-like substance) at the electric supply place and put some in the panel side and the outside openings.
I believe it was condensation on the outside of the conduit.
I also scraped out the caulk on the outside of the conduit end that went through the rim joist.
There was leakage before I removed it.
There is quite the inrush of air. I can see the negative pressure in the basement going after every penetration in the building envelope.
I glopped a bunch of the putty there too.

seige101, the other end of the conduit comes out of the meter, mounted on the side of the house, through a BL fitting (do I have that right?), with a removable cover, which is the 2nd place I put the duct seal in.

Churchie, I'm trying to stay away from the foam in a can, but I don't think there's any escaping it.
I'm using caulk for air sealing where I can. I'm trying to save up on all the big gaps so I don't have Great Stuff left over.

EBL, a electrical type on the HolmesonHomes fourm recommended the duct seal for the inside of the conduit and also for the outside, or caulk.
It's my opinion that the foam isn't as dense as caulk, but who knows.
We were out of power 3.5 days. The little insert worked okay. It stayed around 64 or so. I didn't want to stress it too much without the fan. The fan does make a difference.
I haven't been scrounging. All I have is a little utility trailer which collapses. Setting it up is somewhat of a pain plus it only carries a 1000 lbs or so. Plus I'm lazy. I actually think there may be more opportunities in the city than in the country 'cause of the big shade trees with heavy lateral limbs, etc.

velvetfoot said:
Thanks for the replies.
I got some duct seal (a clay-like substance) at the electric supply place and put some in the panel side and the outside openings.

Sounds like duct mastic? Yeah I have two gallons of that and have been using to seal rim joist as well (where concrete block meets plate), works great and it's cheap compared to paying $4 for a 10 oz. tube of caulk. I think I paid $15 per Gal., probably cheaper if you have a wholesale connection.

That sounds more like air duct sealer, but I'm not familiar with that stuff either.
There's no way a normal caulk gun fits all the way in there.
I might try the toothpaste format.

Sorry i for some reason i had a commercial service on my mind, from the pole into a panel with ct's. Anyways pop open that cover, sounds like an LB from what you are describing, and toss some duck seal in there.

Thanks again.
I did that.
I also noticed that the inside of the panel seemed dustier than I felt it should. Probably also 'cause of the breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.