found a nice place to purchase pellets in ct

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
The people were very knowledgeable, and overall nice customer service...
http://www.mypelletstore.com/
They are trying to get blazers and hamers however they did say freight was a @#@$$$$

Iceman:
I'm not sure what pellets prices are currently in your part of CT - but here in Dutchess county, NY we are paying ~230 a ton for premium brands (Lingnetics) and 190 a ton at lowes / home depot stuff plus delivery. Pellets are cheap this year ...

Prices at the web site you've posted are a bit high for this year I think. Maybe they're actually lower at the store - and haven't updated the web site in a while?

FYI. Take care.

RonB

Moving a little further south - I used these people for this years pellet supply. www.cjspellets.com. They are located in Manchester, CT. The prices seemed reasonable and they had a decent selection to choose from. I purchased 3 tons of Turman Hardwood Premium Pellets. I've been very happy with them.

andrewb said:
Moving a little further south - I used these people for this years pellet supply. www.cjspellets.com. They are located in Manchester, CT. The prices seemed reasonable and they had a decent selection to choose from. I purchased 3 tons of Turman Hardwood Premium Pellets. I've been very happy with them.

I thought about going there for hamers... still might but they are Prolly 30 minutes or so maybe more ...
And this place was about 10 minutes from Home, the Maine woods has gotten great reviews so I had t
to try them..lol ...
the depot and lowes were @ 187 but now at 225 so I will but a better pellet for a few bucks more... also.the depot close to me has stopped getting pellets ..

the prices they have advertised for those brands are the same as everyone else i have gone too or called.....no deals for us CT boys on the good pellets, just HD and lowes

Curran at $229....you can get them at Lowes for $208 and apply a 10% discount if you have a coupon.

geek said:
Curran at $229....you can get them at Lowes for $208 and apply a 10% discount if you have a coupon.

Very true but I was looking for the Maine woods ... which got very high ratings .. to try out ..
Their prices are online with everyone in my area excluding the box stores..
They are a small company so I don't expect them to be cheaper than lowes or HD ..
They know all about pellets and the companies ... good luck finding someone at a box store that knows much about them..lol.
Where people choose to buy pellets is entirely up to the individual...
As I said earlier my HD said they are done with pellets for the season, this is just another small business close to me, with friendly service that I wanted to let you guys know about.. to possibly take a look at them when you need pellets...
Or like in my situation, it saved me from the long drive to Manchester.. for a few bucks more

Personally i never ask the box store peeps about pellet quality, that's why we have this great site here... :)

[quote author="HEMI" date="1297810778"]the prices they have advertised for those brands are the same as everyone else i have gone too or called.....no deals for us CT boys on the good pellets, just Hd and lowes

How do you like the vermonts?

geek said:
Personally i never ask the box store peeps about pellet quality, that's why we have this great site here... :)

Lol.......VERY GOOD POINT!
I do .. sometimes to hear them say softwood pellets are no good!

The People's Republic of RI is not any better. I scored a $25 off coupon on a $250 purchase and buying 60 bags of Maine Choice for $225.00/$3.75-bag tonight! I still have 1.5 tons of Barefoots and need a ton of shoulder pellets. The Green Teams are all gone and the Maine Choice is the best of what is left here at Lowes and HD.

I did get to try 7 bags of Maine Woods and like them a lot. High heat and a bit more ash than the Barefoots.

My "dealer" can't get the Barefoots (they are having a supply issue) but is bringing in the Maine Woods for 2011-2012. I expect to pay around $245.00/ton but fully expect the price of pellets to be UP next year, just based on energy costs (production and distribution) Planning to purchase 4-6 tons and be done for the next two years. Planning ahead!

Augustine said:
The People's Republic of RI is not any better. I scored a $25 off coupon on a $250 purchase and buying 60 bags of Maine Choice for $225.00/$3.75-bag tonight! I still have 1.5 tons of Barefoots and need a ton of shoulder pellets. The Green Teams are all gone and the Maine Choice is the best of what is left here at Lowes and HD.

I did get to try 7 bags of Maine Woods and like them a lot. High heat and a bit more ash than the Barefoots.

My "dealer" can't get the Barefoots (they are having a supply issue) but is bringing in the Maine Woods for 2011-2012. I expect to pay around $245.00/ton but fully expect the price of pellets to be UP next year, just based on energy costs (production and distribution) Planning to purchase 4-6 tons and be done for the next two years. Planning ahead!

X2 I am gonna start buying now while prices are reasonable
The rest of winter looks like it should be warmer so 25 bags every couple weeks I will buy from here out!

iceman said:
HEMI said:
the prices they have advertised for those brands are the same as everyone else i have gone too or called.....no deals for us CT boys on the good pellets, just Hd and lowes

How do you like the vermonts?
the vermonts worked out great for me, only issue i had was that i had to remove the ash from the burn pot, for some reason it wouldnt get pushed over the edge on my harman.....other then that great pellet

This is off topic but I wonder if we got together locally if we could buy pellets at a better price?
Like say form "ct pelletheads inc"? And we meet somewhere and divey up?
Or get a membership where some of the guys that advertise here give us a little discount?
I would love to keep buying from the smaller guys , but when big box puts out a decent
Pellet for 170- 187 vs 230-250 kinda hard not to buy from there...
But I would much rather support the little guys..
But I def want variety of pellets! It's fun to burn dif kinds with all the testing going on here!
Maybe we could take a vote for pellet of the year and send it to the company! This way they KNOW people are watching the products

iceman said:
Augustine said:

The rest of winter looks like it should be warmer so 25 bags every couple weeks I will buy from here out!

Might I suggest that you wait a bit to buy? You might score a bit better when the pellet companies come out with their spring prebuy programs, etc.......I dont know this for a fact (well, yea, I do), but I beleive the upcoming spring pricing to be marginally cheaper than you see now.....

As for the company being helpful, Ice, kudos to you! I researched prices, saw that some of those pellets were available cheaper elsewhere, but you made the choice to buy from them evenso, because of their great service and personality.....thats refreshing to hear in a market where folks usually only buy by price only, disregarding all else....

Lousyweather said:
iceman said:
Augustine said:

Might I suggest that you wait a bit to buy? You might score a bit better when the pellet companies come out with their spring prebuy programs, etc.......I dont know this for a fact (well, yea, I do), but I beleive the upcoming spring pricing to be marginally cheaper than you see now.....

As for the company being helpful, Ice, kudos to you! I researched prices, saw that some of those pellets were available cheaper elsewhere, but you made the choice to buy from them evenso, because of their great service and personality.....thats refreshing to hear in a market where folks usually only buy by price only, disregarding all else....

I dont see any places that are significantly cheaper close to me, other than someone mentioned lowes with currans
I think most places are running the same ... figure time and distance with todays fuel prices and anything more than 15 miles is adding $3 to the price (my truck gets about 15mpg) so for me to drive say a 45 round trip negates a $10 savings on a ton....imo

Status
Not open for further replies.