Found a nice top handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HittinSteel

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Northeastern Ohio
Lucky find, just needs the recoil spring repaired...... good thing though, when I opened the tank there was straight gas in the there and the chain was on backwards.

Attachments

• 052012155422.jpg
    052012155422.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 174
Lucky find, just needs the recoil spring repaired...... good thing though, when I opened the tank there was straight gas in the there and the chain was on backwards.

I have seen something like this once before; a broken recoil and the chain on backwards. It turned out that the engine had also been running backwards!
I ran log loader for 35 years. (pictured below) This only happened once! The swamper had called me down to the ground and said his saw was broken. I found the chain was on backwards and the recoil was broken. He said he had just put on a new chain but when he fired the saw up, it had backfired upon starting and the saw would not cut. When he shut the saw off, he noticed that the chain was rotating the wrong direction to cut. He then turned the chain around so that it would be cutting in the right direction but when he again went to start the saw, the recoil was broken.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 127
Sweet find,
Get it at a good $ price?

Running a chain backwards keeps it sharp ;)
When you put the new starter on, set it up so it starts backwards, chain will work better. LOL

Hopefully it wasn't run long or at all on straight gas.

I pulled the muffler and the piston still has the factory machine marks. The price was cheap enough that it still would have been a bargain even if it needed a new p/c :cool:

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
I'll have $121.95 in the saw when the recoil, bolt and clutch side decal arrive :)

Now I have 2 top handles and almost no need for a 50/60cc saw.

Reactions: ScotO
I'll have $121.95 in the saw when the recoil, bolt and clutch side decal arrive :)

That's a steal, steel! But it's not a Stihl! ;) Great deal, nonetheless. I know I wouldn't pass it up, that saw looks brand new!

121.95, how much was the kid in the pic? It'll cost ya a fair amount of food & education before he can run 1 of those top handles.;)
Seriously though, that's a great deal on a nice saw, good find. A C

He's expensive, but the best deal I've ever found ;) Walks around the yard and says " Dad, I want to cut that tree down right there". He'll start earning his keep stacking firewood this fall.

He's expensive, but the best deal I've ever found ;) Walks around the yard and says " Dad, I want to cut that tree down right there". He'll start earning his keep stacking firewood this fall.

My kinda kid, they're the greatest gift IMO. Enjoy every minute you can with em, they grow fast & we grow old before we know it. Mine are grown & gone from home. I've even got a little grand daughter already, & seems like just a little while back they were your son's age. AC

Did you get the saw running yet. I saw that one on craigslist and looked nice

Yep, replaced the recoil spring last night and it started on the 3rd pull. I'm torn with what to do with it. It needs a muffler mod to have the same snappy feel as my 335..... but I may eventually send it and my 394 to ebay, so I should keep it stock.

Isn't the 338XPT the vastly improved version of the 335XPT? I'd think I would be doin' up the 338 and sending the 335 on it's way. Yours is the first positive comment I've heard about the 335.:p

My 335 is finicky, but much improved since I put a 1 way breather in the fuel cap. It suffered from a poorly designed tank vent system that requires splitting the case to get at it. Since it's finicky, I'd have to disclose that in the sale and would likely not get much for it. Besides, I'm kind of a glutton for punishment and always carry my tuning screwdriver when in the woods. When it's behaving, it flat rips. I haven't run a choked up factory saw in a long time and that is how the 338 feels.......imagine it would have a real attitude change after a muffler mod. Who am I kidding, I'll probably keep both ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.