Found a older insert for cheap, opinions please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_b

Dec 19, 2012
I found this insert for sell. Wants 200 buck hairs for it. Right now i have a open fire place. just had it cleaned for this years use, we primarily stay in the living room of our house and the open does its trick but i want more. I dont have money for a new system installed. They guy selling it went back to a open fireplace for his wife and said this one works great. Any input would be great.

Attachments

• fireplace 2.jpg
    fireplace 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 200
  • fireplace 3.jpg
    fireplace 3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 196
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 195
Welcome!

Check the unit over inside out, front and back for warping, cracked welds, etc.

If any of the above is found, any good price is too much unless you want it for making an outdoor smoker.

Did the previous owner just have it as it is slid into a fireplace? Or did he have a length of stove pipe w/ an adapter hooked to it going up the flue? Were you planning on just placing it in the fireplace as is or were you going to add an adapter and stovepipe and/or a liner?

I'm going to move this over to the classic room for the age of the unit.

pen

Last edited:
i believe he just had it slid into the fire place. I know you are supposed to run a pipe up the chimney but i plan on just sliding it in. I do take care of my chimney and have it swept every year.

If the sweep says the system is in good shape and can handle that kind of installation, and you can make a good seal with the insert surround, and it's OK with your insurance company, then I'd expect you to see gains over an open fireplace.

How much wood do you usually burn in a year?

One thing to consider is with this type of installation, you'll need to pull that lunker out each time you do a cleaning.

As with any changes to a burning system, keep a good eye on things to make sure you can still go with a once a year cleaning.

pen

i talked to the swept about installing a slide in. He said it was ok just to make sure that i continue cleaning it once a year, and that they put out more soot. The only thing i have a concern about is seal around the insert surround. How do i go about getting a good seel. second is my chimney has a gas pipe for lighting the wood. the only thing i can think of is cutting it off with a hack saw at the bottom.

I would schedule the sweep for at least two sweeps during burning season, trust me once you start burning with this thing you will find out why. You can buy fiberglass to put on the backside of the surround to make a "seal", but in reality if you get a downdraft it will not stop it from coming in the house.

I would remove the gas line entirely from the fireplace if at all possible.

Hope you already have nice dry wood to burn in it, don't trust anyone selling "seasoned" wood this time of year. If it is truly seasoned you will be paying through the nose for it.

Good writeup on slammer installs: http://www.yourashismine.com/id27.html

Reactions: pen
At the very least you should try to run a short piece of pipe from the top of your insert through the smoke shelf and into the chimney a few feet. It will be well worth the effort.

You might want to wait for another deal. Keep an eye on craigslist for a stove with a pipe. People switch homes all the time and some people don't want a wood stove in their home for various reasons and want the whole thing out, pipe and all. What part of the country are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.