1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Found a squatter in my woodshed!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ohlongarm, Oct 24, 2012.

1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It took forever for me to find out what that blood curdling scream from foxes was coming from.

I had just dragged Michelle in for the night when I played that Owl clip. She sat up and took notice. Not the right kind of notice. She thinks she is ten feet tall and bullet proof. :confused:
    milleo likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    Cool! Anything that kills rodents is ok in my book.
  3. hilbiliarkiboi

hilbiliarkiboi Member

Loc:
    HotSprings NatlPark

I'm only 1000' or so from south fork saline river, and the squirls, chipmunks, mice and rabbits are fairly thick.
    When 8 or 10 of those owls start rattling, it can sound like a troop of monkeys.
  4. timfromohio

timfromohio Minister of Fire

Awesome pic. Have him send any relative to my place (also in NEOhio). The squirrels and chipmunks are forever messing around in my garden.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    One of the coolest pics a member has posted here . . . very neat. Thanks for sharing.
    onion likes this.
  6. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Holy sh!t. That is awesome ohlongarm! I have never seen one that calm outside of a zoo that handles them daily. Great pic!
  7. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Thats so cool , i'd wish an owl would take home on our property there neat birds !
  8. onion

onion Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ohio
    Very cool indeed. I have one that likes to hang out in the trees in the front yard at dusk. I've left several brush piles around my property for rabbit cover and the owls seem to like the idea :).
  9. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Update on Antwan the owl,today Friday morning at 7pm still dark here went out to woodshed to see if he was back ,and he was,had a scraggly piece of furry something he was munching on,didn't know what it was,he started bobbing his head up and down so I left him be. He likes the rearmost rafter ,I'll try to get another picture as soon as possible,I don't want to capture him again for fear he might get spooked and not return.
  10. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    We had a Great Horned Owl near our house a couple of years ago. I was coming home & something "chugged" across the road about 15 feet in the air. My first thought was "that's a flying bulldog!" I figured that it was an owl, but it had a huge head & looked kinda like a redtail hawk in the body. Good ole Google. I took a shot at "Great Horned Owl" & the description that came up was a big head on a hawklike body! Never a camera around when ya need one...
  11. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    We have a mated pair of Great Horned Owls in residence. Last year the nest was right outside the neighbors bedroom window. Which was fine until the youngsters started hollering for dinner at all hours. Right now they are behind my place. 3 of them that I can hear most of the time. Also have an albino grey squirrel ( snow white) sticks out like a sore thumb yet. Rabbit population is non existent at my place. Also have a long tailed weasel working my wood stacks only seen it 2 or 3 times. Man they are fast.