Found a squatter in my woodshed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took forever for me to find out what that blood curdling scream from foxes was coming from.

I had just dragged Michelle in for the night when I played that Owl clip. She sat up and took notice. Not the right kind of notice. She thinks she is ten feet tall and bullet proof. :confused:

Reactions: milleo
Cool! Anything that kills rodents is ok in my book.

They have lots of other calls & noises, but that "Who cooks for you?" is the signature one.

I'm only 1000' or so from south fork saline river, and the squirls, chipmunks, mice and rabbits are fairly thick.
When 8 or 10 of those owls start rattling, it can sound like a troop of monkeys.

Awesome pic. Have him send any relative to my place (also in NEOhio). The squirrels and chipmunks are forever messing around in my garden.

One of the coolest pics a member has posted here . . . very neat. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: onion
Holy sh!t. That is awesome ohlongarm! I have never seen one that calm outside of a zoo that handles them daily. Great pic!

Thats so cool , i'd wish an owl would take home on our property there neat birds !

Very cool indeed. I have one that likes to hang out in the trees in the front yard at dusk. I've left several brush piles around my property for rabbit cover and the owls seem to like the idea :).

Went out this morning to do a little re-arranging in my 10x12 woodshed,when I saw movement in the back on the rafters,I slammed the door shut and captured the squatter. He wasn't bothered at all seems he's been eating the many red squirrels that routinely trash my woodshed yearly.I took these and let him go,he was back in the shed earlier about 4pm,seems not afraid he's welcome to stay.View attachment 78492View attachment 78493
Update on Antwan the owl,today Friday morning at 7pm still dark here went out to woodshed to see if he was back ,and he was,had a scraggly piece of furry something he was munching on,didn't know what it was,he started bobbing his head up and down so I left him be. He likes the rearmost rafter ,I'll try to get another picture as soon as possible,I don't want to capture him again for fear he might get spooked and not return.

We had a Great Horned Owl near our house a couple of years ago. I was coming home & something "chugged" across the road about 15 feet in the air. My first thought was "that's a flying bulldog!" I figured that it was an owl, but it had a huge head & looked kinda like a redtail hawk in the body. Good ole Google. I took a shot at "Great Horned Owl" & the description that came up was a big head on a hawklike body! Never a camera around when ya need one...

We have a mated pair of Great Horned Owls in residence. Last year the nest was right outside the neighbors bedroom window. Which was fine until the youngsters started hollering for dinner at all hours. Right now they are behind my place. 3 of them that I can hear most of the time. Also have an albino grey squirrel ( snow white) sticks out like a sore thumb yet. Rabbit population is non existent at my place. Also have a long tailed weasel working my wood stacks only seen it 2 or 3 times. Man they are fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.