Found Best The Air Flow For The PE...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
And it's sad ... no other fans running aside from the insert, and a ceiling fan on "down" in the 3rd story.. Just takes a while.

5 years later, Dix gets an edumacation >>

Don't feel bad.28 years in this house and I just found the right mix this year. ;em

I don't feel bad, just pissed at the extra cost in electricity over the years >>

going down to - 10F here tonight .... holy chit !!!

Reactions: PapaDave
Yeah after I found the right mix the split between upstairs and down is <4 degrees. At 17 degrees outside headed for 4 by sunup.

Reactions: realstihl
Opened up the connecting door between the apartment & the lower level. Huge, huge difference, with that 13 pumping the lower level, and the PE taking care of the main & 3rd level., and it's mixing it all up, and it's wonderful !!

Reactions: PapaDave
Good to hear you are keeping warm. I am so glad we are not experiencing those temps and winds. In this old overglazed farmhouse we would be freezing with the T6 pedal to the metal.

Last edited:
I'm pleased to find that nights in the teens don't freeze my crawl space pipes. We've paid our dues in the past with weeks of no water. Now tomorrow we are dropping down to 1 !

As for the stove, I'm so grateful for the 30, though the tropical pets are getting some supplemental electric heat.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Hang in there, K !!

We woke up to a balmy -4F this morning. The house was at 68F at 6 AM, after my reload in the PE at 930 PM (the 13 got loaded around 10 PM, and then loaded at 5 AM this morning). Not bad, considering.

My best bud in Westhampton had -11F this morning. She was NOT happy . Frozen water buckets, etc. Luckily she left the gates open, so they are easy to use the snow blower on. As an FYI, her small ranch, heated with oil had the t stat set at 70, and she couldn't keep up, the house was at 62F. She won't listen >>

I'm pleased to find that nights in the teens don't freeze my crawl space pipes. We've paid our dues in the past with weeks of no water. Now tomorrow we are dropping down to 1 !

As for the stove, I'm so grateful for the 30, though the tropical pets are getting some supplemental electric heat.

worst mistake I had made in years was to forget to close the vents in the crawlspace a few winters ago. what didn't bust froze, had to replumb half the house in below freezing temps, I had better days than that one

Reactions: Dix
This house is larger than the foundation so there is soffit all across under the rear wall. Second year here I was messing around looking at how they did the insulation in those soffits. The next morning I turned on the tap to make coffee and no water. Immediately grabbed a torch and headed down to move that insulation back outside of that sink water line and thaw the line out. ;em

worst mistake I had made in years was to forget to close the vents in the crawlspace a few winters ago. what didn't bust froze, had to replumb half the house in below freezing temps, I had better days than that one

Happened to me 3 years ago. Pipe busted for the oil heat at the farthest part of the house.

Still not fixed. Don't mind not paying for the oil, for damned sure.

Ow! That's a tough lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.