Found Cherry pits at big box...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

champscorner

Sep 7, 2009
Midwest Ohio
if anyone's interested. Went to the local lowes today to buy some durock board as I'm building my hearth pad for my new stove. While at Lowes I went to check to see what kind of pellets they carry and they had Pres to logs and said that was all they planned to carry this winter. So not being satisfied with this I dropped by my local TSC to see what they carried, which they had Somerset, but right next to them were a skid of cherry pits. I'm new to this whole thing but didn't think it was very common for a big box to carry cherry pits so I snagged up a couple of bags. Of course I can't burn them yet and will undoubtedly burn pellets for awhile while I'm first starting up to get use to things, but I have them anyway. I talked to the sales clerk and he stated that they may continue to carry them depending on how sales go. He said they have had quite a bit of interest but people are just buying them to test them out so far. They seem to be a little more expensive than pellets but I'm not sure if that's because they are harder to find or if this is the typical rate for something like this. Anyway here is the info: They come in a plain white 30 # bag(pretty thick) @ $5.49 a bag, they are made from Triple D. Orchards, Inc, out of Empire, Michigan 49630, phone # 866- 781-9410 or 231-326-5174. That is everything listed on the label. Anyone ever burn these?

I've been trying to find some locally here in Central New York. I'd love to use them in the Europa and maybe try them in our Magnum Countryside. Anyone in my area know anyone carrying them?

I would like to try them as well but chances of me finding some around here are slim to none.
I think I'll try corn though.

I'll be calling the local TSC here, and asking if they have any, or will be getting any.....now that I have the 10-CPM, it's MADE to burn cherry pits!

Love to try a few bags, just to see what happens.

EDIT: DRATS! Called them, but they don't carry them. >:-( She said it's a state to state thing. Guess NY TSC's aren't getting any.

I have seen them at our local TSC. But that was before I bought the Omega. Now that I can burn them, They never have any.

But I am still looking too! Keep us posted on the outcome!

Jay

woodsman23 said:
TSC in springville ny has them 30# bags 5.10 a bag.
That comes out $340 per ton, are cherry pits more efficient/BTU's than wood pellets?

HD41 said:
woodsman23 said:
That comes out $340 per ton, are cherry pits more efficient/BTU's than wood pellets?

I doubt it, But for some reason there valued(they must be using them for something else). I would think something you would spit in the gutter would be cheap? But then again look at saw dust. What are they paying for a raw ton lately??

My wife was at the local TSC store in Barkhamsted today and found they had cherry pits there. She grabbed 2 30lb bags. $5.49/ bag. Boy there pricey, Hope they burn hot!

Just FYI for anyone looking to try them.

jtakeman said:
HD41 said:
woodsman23 said:

I doubt it, But for some reason there valued(they must be using them for something else). I would think something you would spit in the gutter would be cheap? But then again look at saw dust. What are they paying for a raw ton lately??

$3.00 is the market rate in Canada.

jtakeman said:
My wife was at the local TSC store in Barkhamsted today and found they had cherry pits there. She grabbed 2 30lb bags. $5.49/ bag. Boy there pricey, Hope they burn hot!

I know your in the middle of the "big box experiment", thanks by the way I've been following along, but when u burn those cherry pits would you be kind enough to post your thoughts? I'm a ways out before I'll be ready to burn mine. If all goes well I'll be ready to buy a ton or 2 of pellets next week and have ny 1st burn :)

champscorner said:
jtakeman said:

I know your in the middle of the "big box experiment", thanks by the way I've been following along, but when u burn those cherry pits would you be kind enough to post your thoughts? I'm a ways out before I'll be ready to burn mine. If all goes well I'll be ready to buy a ton or 2 of pellets next week and have ny 1st burn :)

Sure will, But it will be a bit. I'll do my best. I will try to measure the heat on medium. Not sure if I have a big enough jar for the ash. :lol:

By the way, When you get that stove ready we would love to see some photo's.(macman would get me if I didn't say that!)

Take care

jtakeman said:
champscorner said:
jtakeman said:

Sure will, But it will be a bit. I'll do my best. I will try to measure the heat on medium. Not sure if I have a big enough jar for the ash. :lol:

By the way, When you get that stove ready we would love to see some photo's.(macman would get me if I didn't say that!)

Take care

Definatley will post picks. It's taken me so long because I travel for work and of course when I started the hearth pad i couldn't leave well enough alone ;)

BTU said:
woodsman23 said:

$340 a ton for a product that isn't as good as the best pellet money can buy anywhere....I guess that's a deal....(OK...that's me being sarcastic)

I'm sure people will continue to buy them... just like the folks that pay 10K more for the same model hybrid car.

Cherry Pits dont involve cutting down the forest. Tree Huggers will love em.

jtakeman said:
.....When you get that stove ready we would love to see some photo's.(macman would get me if I didn't say that!)....
:lol: Thanks for picking up the slack for me TONIGHT Jay....I was busy watching the Yankees WIN THE WORLD SERIES FOR THE 27TH TIME!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHH YEEEAAAHHHHH

beerwizza said:
Are these burnable in any pellet stove? I have a Harman XXV.
Only if it's a multifuel,I would suggest reading your manual as I'm not sure about your Harman.

beerwizza said:
Are these burnable in any pellet stove? I have a Harman XXV.
Only a stove that's designed for them (multi-fuel).

The Harman XXV owners manual states "wood pellet fuel only"

erhalt1 said:
I would think there would be alot less ash and a whole lot more heat!
I believe that they give really good heat, but burn very fast, and produce more ash.

the only way I am burning corn, pits etc. is if I get it cheaper or free, I can't see paying $350+/ton for something the processor would throw away otherwise. Does anyone know if they dry or otherwise process the pits besides bagging them for that price?

macman said:
jtakeman said:
.....When you get that stove ready we would love to see some photo's.(macman would get me if I didn't say that!)....
:lol: Thanks for picking up the slack for me TONIGHT Jay....I was busy watching the Yankees WIN THE WORLD SERIES FOR THE 27TH TIME!!!!!!!! OHHHHHHH YEEEAAAHHHHH

It's called buying the series, you can do about anything with enough money.

Was at the New Milford, CT TSC and they had cherry pits- $5.49 a bag or $249 a ton, also bagged in 40 lbs. bags.

I grabbed 2 bags- guy at the store said to mix them with pellets because they burn quick. I will say they burn quickly and put out a lot of soft white ash (looks like coal ash), the heat did not seem that different than a standard pellet when I burned a quarter of a bag by themselves on medium. The ash is not as bad as corn or sunflower seeds as it is fluffy; no clinkers.

Just wanted to give them a try and safe to say that if I had to burn them I could with no issues (even though the Mt. V does not have a setting for them or say it can burn them- but if I can burn sunflower seeds, corn, wheat, etc. why not pits?). I will mix the rest of the bag with pellets and then save the other bag for a later experiment....

mapezzul said:
Was at the New Milford, CT TSC and they had cherry pits- $5.49 a bag or $249 a ton, also bagged in 40 lbs. bags.

I grabbed 2 bags- guy at the store said to mix them with pellets because they burn quick. I will say they burn quickly and put out a lot of soft white ash (looks like coal ash), the heat did not seem that different than a standard pellet when I burned a quarter of a bag by themselves on medium. The ash is not as bad as corn or sunflower seeds as it is fluffy; no clinkers.

Just wanted to give them a try and safe to say that if I had to burn them I could with no issues (even though the Mt. V does not have a setting for them or say it can burn them- but if I can burn sunflower seeds, corn, wheat, etc. why not pits?). I will mix the rest of the bag with pellets and then save the other bag for a later experiment....

Thanks for the info, Very suprised with the ash. I would expect them to burn dirty. Maybe thats why they price them close to pellets. Hmmmm!

Can't wait to try mine now. I am also going to look for the larger bags. All I can get is the 30lbs bag. Same price you paid for 40lbs.

Thanks
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.