Found great seasoned wood -- on craigslist!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azsteven

Nov 6, 2009
Boston Suburbs
I just arranged to buy about a cord of 2 year properly seasoned oak for $200. I went out and measured it, and it worked out to 15 feet by 3.75 feet * 2 rows of splits. If each split is 18", that's about 168 cu feet -- so even if some splits are shorter, it's still a good find. My moisture meter meter showed 11-13%, but I didn't break any new splits to check inside.

This oak will take me through the rest of the season, and I've got about 2 cords green stacked up for next year.

I have to borrow a truck to pick it up, but the seller lives less than a mile from me.
Here's the thing: this guy had the wood but said his chimney's broken, and he needed the space in his yard.

Just goes to show that there are some good finds on craigslist after all, if you know what t look for. Thanks to y'all on these forums for teaching me what to look for!

Aaron

Attachments

• firewood.jpg
    firewood.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 429
Congrats! Nice to have enough fuel for the rest of the season :)

Good deal. A big cord for a change.

So today I picked up the wood. 5 loads in a Dodge Dakota (small bed) pickup truck, but these were heaping loads. I completely filled my 1-cord shed, as well as the 1/6 cord rack on my front porch, and I've got at least 1/2 or 2/3 cord left in the pile on my driveway. So the total deal works out to about 1.75 cords, splits 2 years ago and properly stored, for $200 cash. Oh, and the seller threw in (no pun intended) an old splitting ax too. I'm gonna go back in March to pick up the 4 PT pallets on which it was all standing, to use for my new firewood shed (at no additional cost; just waiting until March because the pallets were frozen into the ground).

My arms are a bit tired, but I'm totally certain this will be more wood than we will use the rest of this winter. It really pays to know what you're looking for.

My advice to people who are looking for seasoned wood this time of year: don't even bother with firewood dealers. Post an ad on craigslist offering to pay cash and pick up unused firewood. I bet there's a lot of it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.