Found Greenway Pellets for $195 a ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2009
NORTHERN MAINE
If you live in northern maine, this guy just opened a business up in Presque Isle...and is selling them for $195 a ton.......went up there on my lunch hour and nobody was around but there was 10 tons outdoors and a semi in front with 24 tons on it. Not familiar with GreenWay pellets but the bags tag said hardwood,less then .1 ash, less then .05 fines, made in Tennesse.....Anybody burn these lately?....im thinking of buying 3 tons tonite or tomorrow if i can get ahold of the guy running the place........every other place up here is $300 a ton nomatter what brand............thanks in advance for any replies.....

I have used that brand in my breckwell p23, Heat output is good, fines in the bag, but having compared to new england wood pellet I have to say that the greenway pellets from tenn. produced the same amount of heat, The new england wood pellets produced MASSIVE CLINKERS, NO FINES OR DUST, but having burned 3 tons of the greenway pellets that I purchased from pelletsales.com @ 249.00 a ton, I would say Go for it , Of course others on this forum have had bad luck with the greenways because of the size of the pellets jamming augers, But they worked great in my breckwell p23, of course your mileage may vary.

Just bought 2 tons,ran up during work when the bosses back was turned.lol........guy said he will have them all summer long , and what freaked me out was,(drum roll please).....FREE DELIVERY!.........Also he said his big sale this weekend in Bangor is sold out already(12 truck loads,288 tons)..........How many tons do I need to be a full fledged pellet pig? :p

Ill try some tonite,supposed to be there at 530pm......there was a damaged ton there and the pellets looked good.......

$195.00 per ton, and they were shipped from TN to ME. Well, there goes the argument that trucking cost is behind the high price of pellets....

richg said:
$195.00 per ton, and they were shipped from TN to ME. Well, there goes the argument that trucking cost is behind the high price of pellets....

Probably shipped bulk by railcar to Maine then bagged there.

Wish I could Get My Hands On some of those Greenways At That price, The Cheapest In My Area are the Barefoot @259 ton which is still pricey and I Have never tried that brand just the Greenway and NEWP tan and red bag, which are Horrible, MASSIVE CLINKERS.

A dealer that has an add on Craigslist is selling Boreal Wood Pelelts in and around the Rutland Vermont area for $260 per ton with a delivery charge of only $25.00.

well sofar so good......truck showed up at 630...3 guys jumped out and helped me put them all in the barn. all by hand.not one bag was ripped or hard from moisture........my stove was empty so I give it a good cleaning, set the control to 5-7 and now 2 hours later its 295 degrees in between the air outlet tubes......flame looks nice.....Ill turn it down some before hitting the sack,and see tomorrow how the ash build up is.....if its livable im definately going back this week.......

They do make animal bedding,but I got the wood pellets ....burning good this morning, stove set on 3-7 all nite.....small clinker.....heat 260degrees on the outlet.......going to get 2 ton delivered this weekend......should do me for all of next winter,if this one ever goes away. http://greenwaypellets.com/products.html

Thanks CZAR, when I learn where he sets up shop down your way Ill post it......thats all this market needs is some good competition to drive down prices......hope it catches on

KINGOFTHENORTH said:
. . .thats all this market needs is some good competition to drive down prices......hope it catches on

If one place can sell at that price and make a profit, they all can, or at the very least drop their prices A LOT.
Mike -

Dr_Drum said:
KINGOFTHENORTH said:
. . .thats all this market needs is some good competition to drive down prices......hope it catches on

If one place can sell at that price and make a profit, they all can, or at the very least drop their prices A LOT.
Mike -

I dont sell Greenway, so cant comment on what they cost, but FWIW, $195/ton is less than I pay for other brands (quite alot less, actually)........I cant vouch for him making a profit at that price either....wondering what those 3 guys who load them get paid per hour......but evenso, the guy is new, and it might take him a bit before he realizes he isnt making money at all.....and just because he might be happy not making money, doesnt mean all the other dealers are happy losing money as well. Most dealers who have been selling product realize what they need to make margin-wise to "keep the doors open". Just because someone decides to sell below cost isnt an incentive to me to sell at a loss as well.

Kingofthenorth sounds like you got the deal of the year so far.

I just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman from Greenway and he told me that he has a real hard time seeing how the dealer in ME is making any money, because of course he knows what he sells to them for.

It doesn't appear that they sell a whole lot to the Northeast, however he did say they sell to pelletsales.

I dont know,but maybe he came across a company going out of business...and bought all their stock....cant imagine he just dumping them for a loss....wouldnt be american. Hes going to $225 aton next month.

CZARCAR said:
Blah Ho Vick said:
richg said:

Probably shipped bulk by railcar to Maine then bagged there.
i'm guessing more like a FIRELESS sale

Has anyone taken the time to check these out? They are a nice pellet but it doesn’t make sense as to what they are doing. I looked into doing these myself but cant afford to loose money!

Mileage is 1615 x $1.70 /mile = $2745.50 / 22 tons = $124.80 per ton just for freight.

Now add the cost of the product FOB the mill: $175 / ton and that comes to a landed cost per ton of $299.80.

I’m no rocket scientist but that’s one hell of a loss. How can anyone justify loosing $104.80 per ton? I wonder who isn’t getting paid for this!? Aww hell, buy the product and while you can cause at prices like that it cant last long!

KINGOFTHENORTH said:
If you live in northern maine, this guy just opened a business up in Presque Isle...and is selling them for $195 a ton.......went up there on my lunch hour and nobody was around but there was 10 tons outdoors and a semi in front with 24 tons on it. Not familiar with GreenWay pellets but the bags tag said hardwood,less then .1 ash, less then .05 fines, made in Tennesse.....Anybody burn these lately?....im thinking of buying 3 tons tonite or tomorrow if i can get ahold of the guy running the place........every other place up here is $300 a ton nomatter what brand............thanks in advance for any replies.....

Ive been seeing pellets bangor north for 240-255 per ton and they were maine made!

Status
Not open for further replies.