Found ice in chimney!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I did a quick cleanout of my pipe and chimney today. My pipe wasn't as clean as I'd like it, but my chimney was clean as it has always been. I have a pretty good run of pipe so I wonder if all the creosote condenses out before the chimney? Anyway, I opened my cleanout door on the bottom, I clean from the bottom up, and there was a big pile of ice looking at me! We've had a good deal of snow and freezing rain this year, I guess this confirms my feeling that it really doesn't get warm at the bottom of the chimney. I wonder if I should chip it out?

Matt

Get a really hot rock and jsut set it in there to melt out the ice. I wouldn't do much chipping, that sounds like work.

Nope... get some Propane gas from your neighbor ;-)

use a portable drill with a spade bit or large bit and put some holes in it

Reading this made me wonder, does the chimney get hotter at the top than the bottom???? I wouldn't think so but I've been wrong before..

Jason

jtb51b said:
Reading this made me wonder, does the chimney get hotter at the top than the bottom???? I wouldn't think so but I've been wrong before..

Jason

No, the gases are cooler at the top of the chimney, that is where you will usually start to see creosote first. You will also see many posts here that it is important to insulate the top of the chimney liners to keep the flue gases as warm as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.