Found my house leak - ants galore - questions about those ants

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

The house re-siding continues on day 3 now and all is moving along nicely. The impetus for re-siding my house was a leak that appeared to be originating where the siding hit a roofline. But we couldn't be sure.

Well, tore off the area in question today myself. I have some pics I'll load later. Anyway, there was a huge gaping hole under the siding where the water was coming right in. The under-siding plywood house sheathing was rotted out, and the studs had surface rot on them (still good studs though). Insulation was mostly trashed.

When I pulled off the plywood sheathing, ants galore erupted. I'd estimate maybe ~200 total that I saw/killed. Probably more underneath but hard to tell.

So I'm letting it breath all day today (100 degree heat + direct sunlight + 6 hours of breathing). Then the siding guys are gonna nail up some sister studs just in case, re-insulate, put a new sheet of plywood up, then foam, tyvek, and put siding over top of it.

This seems like a good plan to me - my questions are this:

1. It hasn't rained in 3 weeks pretty much and it's dry and hot here. This wood was wet to the touch. How long will it stay ant fodder?
2. Do I have to worry about residual ant communities underneath this, or will they simply eat the wet wood and leave the dry alone - and eventually move on now that moisture isn't penetrating?
3. Water vapor will be able to move around and evacuate - I'm guessing the wood will also dry out in 1-2 years fully. Am I right?

This was a bugger of a leak in terms of amount of water coming in and in terms of tracking it down. I'm thrilled to have found it - and I'm happy i'm spending the money getting new siding done, as finding it involved removing one section of siding that was asbestos shingle and one section of siding that was painted plywood + faux tudor 1x4s. So we would have had to do substantial re-siding just to fix the leak in the first place.

Joe

My experience is that they will leave if the leak is repaired and the area dries out.
Replace any damaged framing.

Apply some ant specific pesticide to the area before sealing it up.
The framing will dry up most likely in less than a year or even a few months.
I think it's more about being in a moist environment rather than just eating wet wood. Either way, dry wood= no old or new ants.

Good stuff. I sprayed the area thoroughly with a Ortho pesticide/protectant that kills them pretty quickly and is supposed to create a 3 month barrier in the sprayed areas (including on the side of housing). Hopefully if it gets sealed up in there with them, it'll keep working it's mojo.

http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0195310...LFLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311351064&sr=8-1

There's the stuff I used. It doesn't truly kill them instantly, but within 30 seconds of spraying them I saw alot of them struggling to live and within 10 minutes there wasn't much movment at all. I sprayed it down a good amount into the area below the roofline that I couldn't access. Hopefully poisons their water supply too.

Status
Not open for further replies.