Found out what I'm doing wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must have been The Seven Brothers Firewood Company.

Certainly wasn't Public Works, 5 would have been supervisors.

certified106 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Went past a fellow's place who sells some firewood. They've been doing this about 3 or 4 years now. I had noticed that I had never seen their splitter set in horizontal mode and they have two but usually only one running at a time. One is junk and the other is a Huskee maybe 3 years old. They were splitting ash and oak and just throwing it onto the truck; not stacking it. But there were 7 guys involved with this huge task! There were 3 at the splitter and 4 throwing wood in the truck. Sure wish I'd had a camera. What should have been a 2 man job took 7.

Oh yes, the oak was freshly cut too. Yes ma'am, that will burn just fine.

Lol, half the time all of that is a one man job around this place :lol:

LOL it is with me for sure.Dad may sharpen a chain for me, fuel up the saw or pick up a few smaller sticks occasionally,but its 99% my job now.He's 81 & hasnt had to do much for over 15 yrs now.I wont let him even if he feels like helping more.He's earned that rest.Sometimes he walks out to where I'm working,brings some ice water or tea & we sit & visit for a while.That's priceless to me. :coolsmirk:

Thistle said:
certified106 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
LOL it is with me for sure.Dad may sharpen a chain for me, fuel up the saw or pick up a few smaller sticks occasionally,but its 99% my job now.He's 81 & hasnt had to do much for over 15 yrs now.I wont let him even if he feels like helping more.He's earned that rest.Sometimes he walks out to where I'm working,brings some ice water or tea & we sit & visit for a while.That's priceless to me. :coolsmirk:

Wow. I am so jealous. Not kidding. My old man was (is) an abusive, drunken,womanizing, pr%*k who never gave a moment of his life or self for any of his offspring (Im one of 4). Anything I ever learned ,I had to teach myself.My dear mother passed about 15 years ago, and I miss her dearly. When you guys speak of good times cutting wood and hanging with your dads, I am SO happy you all had the chance to do such things, and cherish every moment I get to spend passing on my knowledge to my boy (he's 14). Sorry to go 'sappy' on y'all. Just thought Id tell ya how much I enjoy hearing peoples "me and dad" stories. :) Peace.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Went past a fellow's place who sells some firewood. They've been doing this about 3 or 4 years now. I had noticed that I had never seen their splitter set in horizontal mode and they have two but usually only one running at a time. One is junk and the other is a Huskee maybe 3 years old. They were splitting ash and oak and just throwing it onto the truck; not stacking it. But there were 7 guys involved with this huge task! There were 3 at the splitter and 4 throwing wood in the truck. Sure wish I'd had a camera. What should have been a 2 man job took 7.

Oh yes, the oak was freshly cut too. Yes ma'am, that will burn just fine.

So what were they doing wrong?

A) Running one splitter instead of two . . . to maximize their time?
B) Not stacking the wood . . . to get an accurate account of the wood they were selling?
C) Not stacking wood . . . to allow time for the wood to season?
D) Having too many people working . . . which allowed the boss to just sit back and drink beer as he "supervised?"
E) Breaking the most holy of holy cardinal sins . . . splitting the wood horizontally? ;)

Well Jake, you would have to witness it to believe it. But needless to say, this is a family well known for not being too industrious. Actually the "boss" was the one running the splitter and yes, he had it set wrong. Some day I may have to stop and see if I can teach him. Ha! So:

A) With 7 people, why not run two?
B) I'm not sure these folks know how to stack but they can throw into piles okay.
C) The wood was to be delivered that day. That is how they do it there.
D) Boss was running the splitter. Can't afford beer.
E) Totally disgusting. Right Jake?!

Thanks to all who posted. Some good posts were made.

wood-fan-atic said:
Thistle said:
certified106 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Wow. I am so jealous. Not kidding. My old man was (is) an abusive, drunken,womanizing, pr%*k who never gave a moment of his life or self for any of his offspring (Im one of 4). Anything I ever learned ,I had to teach myself.My dear mother passed about 15 years ago, and I miss her dearly. When you guys speak of good times cutting wood and hanging with your dads, I am SO happy you all had the chance to do such things, and cherish every moment I get to spend passing on my knowledge to my boy (he's 14). Sorry to go 'sappy' on y'all. Just thought Id tell ya how much I enjoy hearing peoples "me and dad" stories. :) Peace.

More important than the "me and dad" stories, and some of them are great, are the "me and kid/grandkid/neighbor's kid etc..." stories. It is OUR responsibility, right now, to do the right thing and prepare the next generation.

Cascade Failure said:
wood-fan-atic said:
Thistle said:
certified106 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

More important than the "me and dad" stories, and some of them are great, are the "me and kid/grandkid/neighbor's kid etc..." stories. It is OUR responsibility, right now, to do the right thing and prepare the next generation.

Well said. I decided many moons ago that I COULD learn something from my old man -- exactly how NOT to be a father. What we pass down to our decendants is truly up to us. Let us teach them well.

I don't know how my name got into that quote but it was not me who posted that. My old man hated me and he's been dead now for 25 years or more. Sad to say that but it is true. My young life was not too happy. That is why I made a vow when I was just turning into a teenager that when I became a man I would do things to make people happy. Of course one can never make everyone happy and there will always be some who do not like you. I accept that but prefer to make people happy. I also am proud that our 2 sons were raised in a happy home and can still call their dad, Dad.

cptoneleg said:
Woody Stover said:
Luckily, I can find dead or down wood here that is dry enough to burn. That's what I'll be grabbing for the next several weeks.
In may I c/s/s an Oak that had been down for 2 yr just for the heck of it I checked moisture yesterday 34%, In my experiece wood does not start to dry until its split, unless your talking about sticks,
The Elm I just grabbed for my SIL were 16% about half way down the trunks, to about 8" diameter, and 25% at the bottom of the trunks, which were about 11". I got pretty lucky there. I'm going to sweep the woods for more of this kind of stuff. But yeah, Oak is slower for sure. The dead standing Black Oak I stacked in June was only dry up to 4" branches, so I didn't get all that much wood there. It'll be interesting to see how the stack of trunk wood is doing in a month or two (that would be six months drying.) It wasn't split very small, but started out about 27-30% on the big trunk pieces. If your trunks were down and/or were green when they fell, that may be why they are wetter. I think the standing dead wood is drier. It gets more wind, better drainage when it gets rained on, and it's probably been losing moisture longer than a two-year-old green blowdown.

Backwoods Savage said:
I don't know how my name got into that quote but it was not me who posted that. My old man hated me and he's been dead now for 25 years or more. Sad to say that but it is true. My young life was not too happy. That is why I made a vow when I was just turning into a teenager that when I became a man I would do things to make people happy. Of course one can never make everyone happy and there will always be some who do not like you. I accept that but prefer to make people happy. I also am proud that our 2 sons were raised in a happy home and can still call their dad, Dad.

I hear you. Dennis. My old man is 82, losin' his marbles, and still couldnt care less about any of his kids or grandkids. Oh,well....his loss. All I can do is be the best father I can be and teach my son to be a responsible,caring adult. Its a shame that some folks live their entire lives and not know what "family" really means. It sounds like you did a fine job with your boys, Dennis. Good for you....and perhaps even more importantly - good for them. :)

Wow I just looked at those quotes and wanted to clarify I did not say any of what shows up under my name. I have a great relationship with my parents and Dad and I get along just fine.

I don't know how this thread got so twisted but I stand by what I said above...

"More important than the “me and dad†stories, and some of them are great, are the “me and kid/grandkid/neighbor’s kid etc…†stories. It is OUR responsibility, right now, to do the right thing and prepare the next generation."

All I was trying to say was that while some of us had great parents and some of us had no parents at all, what matters is who we are and what we do in our lives now.

You may now return to splitting the proper way...horizontally.

Cascade Failure said:

"More important than the “me and dad†stories, and some of them are great, are the “me and kid/grandkid/neighbor’s kid etc…†stories. It is OUR responsibility, right now, to do the right thing and prepare the next generation."

All I was trying to say was that while some of us had great parents and some of us had no parents at all, what matters is who we are and what we do in our lives now.

Prepare the next generation properly by teaching them to split vertically.

Any other way and they'll go off the rails ;-)

Good shot woodchip!

Don't know about anyone else but growing up, we always gathered wood and split it in the early summer right after school let out. Sure wood got split all year round but the BIG SPLIT was in June. I don't remember how much Oak was mixed in but there sure was a mix of hardwood.

As for the multitude of hands, we actually had about 5-7 sets of hands for the BIG SPLIT. Quite the show with multiple mauls and splitting 'stumps' and stacking going on. If they did it right, I think you could have enough work for 4 people max on one splitter. Some wood splits pretty cleanly and you can really split it up fast - like the ash I was doing the other day.

woodchip said:
Cascade Failure said:

Prepare the next generation properly by teaching them to split vertically.

Any other way and they'll go off the rails ;-)

I'd really hate to see them wearing funny hats and thinking that a milk crate is comfortable...but, if they are doing for themselves I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.