Found propane tanks cheap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I stopped at a local propane dealer today and asked if they had any upright tanks or 150-250 gallon tanks for sale. They called back and said $50 for 500 gallon and $100 for 1000 gallon tanks. No smaller tanks right now.

To big for my needs but dang that is cheap. Might have to buy one just for future expansion. Maybe I could stack a second 1000 gallon tank on my current one.... wish I would have found them sooner. I would really have to tear a lot of stuff apart now to get to my tank.

gg

Aren't they worth more than that for scrap?

TS

Reactions: woodsmaster
I wish I lived closed to your pro-PAIN dealer. All I could get was circa 2003 100# cylinders for $50. They won't sell anything else, outdated or otherwise. You can buy new though, and I'm not going there.

TS

I wish I lived closed to your pro-PAIN dealer. All I could get was circa 2003 100# cylinders for $50. They won't sell anything else, outdated or otherwise. You can buy new though, and I'm not going there.

TS

I traveled 3 hours 2 years ago when I bought my tank I paid $550 for a 1000 gallon and a 120 gallon.

That included them welding in 2" ports top and bottom of both ends of the 1000 gallon tank and pressure testing.

Gg

That seems fair to me.

TS

From Northport, Long Island to Madison, Wisconsin is a 2000 mile round trip and over 34 hours travel. At 15 mpg thats 133 gallons of diesel times $4/gal equals $550 plus tolls, lodging, food and the cost of the tank.
Call it an even $1000.

Mmmmmm......... Road trip?

Actually I spoke to a guy in PA who said he is constantly getting tanks in and selling them for a few hundred each.

I stopped at a local propane dealer today and asked if they had any upright tanks or 150-250 gallon tanks for sale. They called back and said $50 for 500 gallon and $100 for 1000 gallon tanks. No smaller tanks right now.

To big for my needs but dang that is cheap. Might have to buy one just for future expansion. Maybe I could stack a second 1000 gallon tank on my current one.... wish I would have found them sooner. I would really have to tear a lot of stuff apart now to get to my tank.

gg
Hi GG, what was the name of the dealer you mentioned with the cheap propane tanks? I am looking for a 500 gallon tank for a project. Thanks!

Hi GG, what was the name of the dealer with the cheap propane tanks? I am looking for a 500 gallon for a project I am working on. Thanks!

It was the Amerigas in Baraboo, not sure if they have any for sale. I never did buy any, I now have my 120 gallon tank that I was using for an expansion tank. It will probably be converted to a buffer tank in my basement or garage.

gg

In 2007 I purchased a used 1000 gal tank from a propane supplier, the supplier delivered the tank without additional charge, and then several years later when I moved the tank to my new shop, the supplier again moved it for free because I was a customer. The customer service was well worth the price, about $900.

Hey Goose, I saw this thread a year or 2 ago, and called them, and they didn't have any. didn't know if they would get any more. I'd drive down there to get a couple if they had them.

did you get the air situation settled? I haven't gotten down that way yet. will call when I do.
karl

I think the air has mostly been purged. The pump still makes more noise than I think it should, not really sure why. When I turn on the parallel pump to increase flow the the pump noise is less.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.