Found some 3 year old wood in a barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a lady selling 2 cords of 3 year seasoned maple, ash, oak and walnut in a barn. She wants $200 a cord. Hate the thought of paying for wood, but sounds like it's nicely seasoned. Not sure I really need it, but don't like the thought of passing on it.

That's pricey by any standards, especially in July. Unless the scavenging is completely exhausted in your area, I'd think twice about dropping $400 on wood you're not absolutely sure you need.

Reactions: Turbo
Sounds like a deal if she delivers and stacks it.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Sugar maple or red? I'd probably buy it all. Three year old oak and walnut...? Great species mix and fully seasoned. Around here, fuel oil is $4/gal. (and a dry cord split and delivered is $210). Compare that to your $150/cord:

Fuel oil/mil. btu: $41.20
Your three cords/mil. btu: $09.74

My $0.02 worth: no-brainer.

Sugar maple or red? I'd probably buy it all. Three year old oak and walnut...? Great species mix and fully seasoned. Around here, fuel oil is $4/gal. (and a dry cord split and delivered is $210). Compare that to your $150/cord:

Fuel oil/mil. btu: $41.20
Your three cords/mil. btu: $09.74

My $0.02 worth: no-brainer.

Likely suger maple. Around here in SW Ontario, the cords are going for anywhere between $200 to $270 split and delivered, so called seasoned, but I bet not, likely 6 months....

Lady only lives 15 mins from me, so I'd have max $20 in fuel invested, and I can put it right in storage, and leave my 2015 supply to season for another few months.

At that price i"d jump on it cubic cords around here (Eastern Ontario )
are 300 to 350 delivered and the say" dry " but not likely

Reactions: Lakeside
Buy it ;)

I think I would take her up on that. I have 12 cords of wood and I still would like two cords ready to go for sure this winter giving my other hoard more time to season.

I'd take it.

The shot in the arm is worth the price. $190 a cord here, usually, and not seasoned.

200-225$ a cord around here and as everyone states it usually isn't actually seasoned.

So If its bone dry and she is willing to let it go at 150 a cord that is a real score imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.