Found some log length in small loads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
I've always wanted to be able to buy log length and process myself, but couldn't really find any available around here until this year that wasn't really highly priced(120/cord and up). This year I found a guy who delivers what he calls a 1 1/2 -2 cord load for $160. I liked the idea of a small load b/c then I know he can get it in the backyard too, it comes in a dump truck that just squeezes through my 10' gate and by the shed. So I got one load to try it out, and I ended up about 1 2/3 cord. I was very happy with this, works out to under 100/cord. c/s/d green wood goes from about 180 on up. So I ordered my second load and it came friday so I took some pics, otherwise it didn't happen right? lol Anyway here are the pics of load number 2. I did already cut and split 4 or 5 logs which stacked up to about 3/4 of a face cord. Oh and it's supposed to be hard maple, ash, beech, birch, and hickory. As far as that goes I'm really no good at identifying anything other than oak.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 852
Oh and to help me process this stuff I bought a ryobi electric splitter, and I have to say I am impressed with that lil thing, no regrets at all. I even managed to talk them into making it part of the tool event a few weeks ago, so I got 75 bucks off.

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 788
Anyone wanna take a shot at wood ids?

Attachments

• Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 758
That is Maple. I lust don't know which variety. I cut one just like that a couple weeks ago.

sped, You have a lot of wood. How much do you have. It all seems like such small pieces.

gzecc said:
sped, You have a lot of wood. How much do you have. It all seems like such small pieces.

The new stuff you can see in front in the one pic right next to the logs I did try and split a little smaller. Let's see, up the hill toward the chain link in pic 2 on an angle is about 3 1/2 cords of 1 year old hardwoods. The last stack(rightmost in pic 2 in the back) is 10' wide x 6ish high x 7' deep of pine. In pic 1 you can kind of see another two stacks(about 2 cords) of pine. And in pic3 is all the new stuff from the log length, just about up to two cords stacked.

does SPED stand for Special Education? just wondering if we work in the same field.....

Danno77 said:
does SPED stand for Special Education? just wondering if we work in the same field.....

Nope, nickname from years back that stuck, too many speeding tickets in my younger days. Maybe it's time to change it since I haven't had one in years(knock on wood).

Looks like a good take! Glad to hear the Ryobi works well. I'm kicking around getting one down the line.

chargeaccordingLEE said:
Flatbedford said:
That is Maple. I lust don't know which variety. I cut one just like that a couple weeks ago.

RED 4 sure!
then I have some red as well. I was splitting some that I thought was silver last week and sure enough it was white oak

That last pic sure looks like silver maple to me. Looks like a nice load of wood. I know one fellow that has one of those splitters and he loves it , nice and quiet and only takes up a little space.

Hmmm now I'm wondering what was in the first load, had a lot of pieces with real dark heartwood. Oh well, it doesn't look like red maple is horrible on the btu chart, not all that great but I can live with it. Thought I finally found an honest wood guy, maybe he didn't realize what the tree was without the leaves, didn't seem lot a bad guy so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. May have to rethink gettin two more loads from him though.

Nothing sweater than processing log loads in your driveway.

savageactor7 said:
Nothing sweater than processing log loads in your driveway.

For sure, there's something about being able to turn those logs into nice even stacks that's just satisfying, not to mention a good excuse for new toys. This year the little splitter, next year a new saw, and it'll all pay for itself with my labor and the difference between log length and c/s/d.

I think those logs are definitely maple, and I'd guess Red Maple, but Sugar Maple is pretty similar to look at.

I should have taken more pics when I split it, still got one log to go, i'll try and snap some pics. You def can't tell from the ends you can see in my pics but after cutting into rounds, in the center of pretty much every one is some dark heartwood, maybe 2-4" in diameter depending on the log. So far looks like it'll make the 1 1/2 cord mark, which puts it just over 100/cord, which is a good deal around here. I'll try and take some stacked up pics too!!

Looks like sugar maple to me

second and third logs in on the ground in the first pic (and better view of them in the 4th post) are what make me lean that way...the rest I could go red or sugar

To bad you didn't get it when it is a little colder out. Fresh cut in below freezing temps, sugar maple cranks out a whole lot of the tastiest icycles you ever had (think syrup on snow if you ever did that when you were a kid).

Course if the tree came out o someone's yard I don't know how I'd feel about eating them (pesiticides and whatnot)

Well I finally got some more pics yesterday, here they are:

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 253
Status
Not open for further replies.