Found some more wood! Building pallet racks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
Found some more wood! Building pallet racks Found some more wood! Building pallet racks Found some more wood! Building pallet racks
Turns out people are willing to let you cut up and haul off wood for free! Facebook has been fabulous for this reason. I’m never on there but when I posted in my neighborhood group people were like come get it!
It’s been laying since May this year and is end splitting and the bark is falling off... so maybe by next year it will be at MC.

I’m also starting a pallet shed. Going to lay pallets down my slope than pole barn style roof on top. Using stone to keep wood/soil contact down.
Will post more as I get it farther along.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 233780
View attachment 233781
View attachment 233782
Turns out people are willing to let you cut up and haul off wood for free! Facebook has been fabulous for this reason. I’m never on there but when I posted in my neighborhood group people were like come get it!
It’s been laying since May this year and is end splitting and the bark is falling off... so maybe by next year it will be at MC.

I’m also starting a pallet shed. Going to lay pallets down my slope than pole barn style roof on top. Using stone to keep wood/soil contact down.
Will post more as I get it farther along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like you are hitting your stride!

I might have to give in and get on Facebook if there's free wood involved.

Looks like you are hitting your stride!

I might have to give in and get on Facebook if there's free wood involved.

Thanks! Turns out I had 7 people private messaged me saying they have either recently fallen trees or cut up wood they want gone. Some of them said... “I didn’t think anyone burned wood anymore” ha!

Tree companies also said when I spoke to them they cannot even give away wood they have. So I’m calling them and setting up times to load all I can. I actually like splitting wood by hand so I’m thrilled!

Now in the Northern states firewood is gold... but down south people use gas heat. I have gas heat... but I have many fond memories growing up chopping and hauling wood with my father. We didn’t have a lot of money growing up so it was our only heat.

I guess I’m coming back full circle now. :)

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Gotta love free wood. If I didn’t have my own trees I would be doing the same as your doing trying to find free trees to cut up. There is nothing like heating your house from your own hard efforts and not handing money over to the utility company or propane company.

Nice score of wood it all adds up

just look at it as the wood is warming you up two or three times before you even get it to the stove. with that perspective the payoff is HUGE lol

that said, im right there with ya after processing about 5 cords by hand last winter/spring, a splitter is in the future for sure.

Thanks! Turns out I had 7 people private messaged me saying they have either recently fallen trees or cut up wood they want gone. Some of them said... “I didn’t think anyone burned wood anymore” ha!

Tree companies also said when I spoke to them they cannot even give away wood they have. So I’m calling them and setting up times to load all I can. I actually like splitting wood by hand so I’m thrilled!

Now in the Northern states firewood is gold... but down south people use gas heat. I have gas heat... but I have many fond memories growing up chopping and hauling wood with my father. We didn’t have a lot of money growing up so it was our only heat.

I guess I’m coming back full circle now. :)

I’m jealous! You’re correct, firewood is like gold up here. Never in a million years would you find a tree company giving away wood.

It’s a rarity to even find someone giving away wood on their property. Most want you to do all the work of cutting it and removing it AND they want money

Reactions: darktower007
I agree...no one gives it away here in southern michigan too....
Lets see more pics of pallet shed..i use pallets to store wood on

This is going to take forever! :( Its slow work doing it by hand.. I need a splitter!

Trick is to get far enough ahead where you can split when you feel like it, then its more enjoyable doing it by hand when the urge hits. If you're trying to split a large amount of wood in a short time then a splitter is definitely the way to go.

Trick is to get far enough ahead where you can split when you feel like it, then its more enjoyable doing it by hand when the urge hits. If you're trying to split a large amount of wood in a short time then a splitter is definitely the way to go.

Good advice. Unfortunately it looks like I’m going to have to buy wood this year. I’ve found a ton of free wood.. but it’s all been standing dead or cut fallen dead. Moisture is still way to high. I’m splitting all I can but for next years burn... if I’m lucky.
Even the guys that sell “seasoned” wood, they never use a meter and claim it’s seasoned. It’s going to be a trial and error process of finding someone who actually has longer stacked wood.