Found This Simple Idea for Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting huntingdog1!! That is too cool! I've been looking into cheap ways to cover my wood stacks. I might look into this!!

It will work but there could be problems. One for sure would be wind. Then combine wind and heavy wet snow... Also wonder how long that tarp will last. One more thing would be the cost as he says about 3 cord in there. That would be a huge cost for most of us who have a lot more than 3 cord stacked up.

I helped a buddy at work build a small version of that as a generator cover last year. I have a few cords of rounds behind my garage that I plan to start splitting this weekend. I was planning to just stack the splits along the side of the garage and cover them with a tarp. I really like this idea - I wanted to build a wood shed, but didn't want to spend alot of time or money on it.

It will work but there could be problems. One for sure would be wind. Then combine wind and heavy wet snow... Also wonder how long that tarp will last. One more thing would be the cost as he says about 3 cord in there. That would be a huge cost for most of us who have a lot more than 3 cord stacked up.

Yea lots of good points there Dennis. My goal is to cheaply design a mobile wood shed that I can move each year to cover that seasons wood. Since each stack is on 3 pallets my cords are all 10' long by 5' wide and 5' tall, so I was going to cover 3 stacks but each one separately. The idea is to eliminate double moving each cord and be able to move it straight into my garage staging area from where they are originally stacked. If they are mobile I could cover 3 stacks and as I use a cord I can move it to the next stack so I will always have 3 cords of dry wood while never having to move the wood until it is burned.

Part of why I think this would be nice is bc since I have the front loader now I can use that to drive out to the stacks, load it up and replenish my stash inside every few days. With how my staging and burning area will be set up I should be able to fit 4-5 days worth of wood cleanly inside before I have to go out and refill. Since I'll be using the loader it will require minimal lifting just a quick load and unload in the bucket. I'm thinking just a bucket load or two from the tractor can reload that supply so It should be fairly quick and easy to do.

I'll be building a pass thru door from the garage to the stove room later this year so pics will follow once I get started on that. The door will have a cuddy in the garage roughly 3' wide by about 4' feet tall and 2' deep so It should hold a couple of days worth of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.