Found wood burning better than bought wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I wasn't sure how to title the thread but...

Yesterday I was out playing with Frank (my GSD) in the yard and in the trees I saw a huge piece of dead wood that had fallen. It was branch about 11' long with a thickness of about 10" around. So I broke it up and chucked it in my fireplace (don't have my stove installed yet) and holy crap!!! It caught and burned a LOT faster than the wood I bought...and that stuff I personally moisture tested and it's VERY dry.

I'm thinking that maybe the dead wood is close to 100%% dried out which would explain the insane flammability. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Yes, dead wood is ideal for burning. I cut all the dead stuff I can find. I perfer it on the ground but I do cut dead trees down.

Did you split open the wood you bought before you checked the moisture content?

Perhaps the wood you found and the wood you bought are two different types of wood. All wood does not burn the same!

The wood you bought is probably oak. It is never seasoned when purchased, unless you are very lucky. The dead wood was probably, something other than oak, which usually seasons in half the time!
Possibly, maybe, might be, pictures would help.

Start building a wood supply for 2 plus years ahead. You will never have unseasoned wood fuel again.
Plus a better burn, much more btu output, cleaner flue, and glass too!

The turtle wins the race!

Valhalla said:
Start building a wood supply for 2 plus years ahead. You will never have unseasoned wood fuel again.
Plus a better burn, much more btu output, cleaner flue, and glass too!

+1

I love collecting dead wood, think of all the energy saved carting that water home in the wood and waiting for it to season.

There is a serious weight of water in a cord of unseasoned wood :)

Status
Not open for further replies.