FPX 36 and clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I took out a POS fireplace box and replaced with a ZC FPX 36. The install was done by the same guy that worked at the LHS (but I didn't buy it thru them), because he did other install jobs on the side, so I'm comfortable knowing he did a good job.

I'm concerned about my clearances, which I think are “inside†the manufacture's specs, and now that I'm more knowledgeable thanks to this forum and been reading some threads, I'm wondering if everything is safe for now my 4th season of burning.

Here's the pic hearth.com/gall/v/WoodStoves/heartcomfireplace.jpg.html
Installation manual is here http://www.fireplacex.com/TravisDocs/93508090.pdf (pages 5-7) in case I missed anything.

Here's my specs:
Raised Hearth is 13â€
Hearth extends 16â€
Side Columns 8†(they one stick out 2â€)
Mantel 12†(extends 7â€)

Current facing and marble hearth was built on top of existing brick hearth that was just framed out a little more, then some cement board, and cement for holding it all in place.

Now, I dunno if it matters, but I'll check temps with my IR gun under mantel and on side columns and they're basically room temps plus a few, that's seems ok.

1. I never did any kind of permits, do I do anything at this point?
2. Do I need hearth carpet pad any option for me?
3. Do I need to look at mantle shields or ?
4. Do I need to notify insurance company?
5. Anything else?

Am I ok?

Is your mantle combustible? For combustible clearances measure the distance from the top of the facepate to the bottom of the mantle. It should be 23" it looks like you are closer than that. Max depth of the mantle is 8.5" so you are good there. The side clearance for more than 3/4" depth should be 18"... although side clearance would concern me less than the mantle.

I think it is always a good idea to notify the insurance company.

Yes it's combustible, but like I said when I measure temps it's maybe a few degrees warmer than room, so anywhere from 75-90 degrees, never hotter. I think it stays cool because of the blower which forces the air out and not up. And the sides hardly any temp increase at all and they're only 2" depth. Actually, when I used to burn the POS fireplace, everything was much hotter with that, and when I took it out I couldn't believe how pathetic those things are made and how much charring in the whole box that was there. I actually feel much safer with the FPX knowing it's built to handle those temps.

My concern, is IF there's a house fire and determined that was because of clearances would they say bad install and I be SOL?

Sounds like your not within clearance stated in the manual. Your mantle should be 23" and your hearth should be 18". I would imagine liability for the install would fall to the installer. Do you have the Collinswood mantle or is it another brand? The installer should have pulled the permit, but you as the homeowner can do so. The inspector may or may not pass the install without being able to check clearances, etc. Always inform your insurance company, some charge more some make no change in premium. Also some insurance companies require a permit before they extend coverage. I used to explain clearances to customers in the sense that a fireplace company usually tries to acheive the lowest, and thus most flexible, clearances possible, they spend thousands of dollars in R&D and UL listing; testing and engineering the appliance before it ever sees actual production. They know that product inside out and upside down, they build it and know its capabilities and limitations better than anyone. If the mantle clearance could/should be 12" instead of 23" they would have listed it as such in the manual. I would definately consider a mantle shield that have AHJ approval or tweaking the install to meet clearances.

Rather than changing the location, you could opt to switch to a non combustible mantle.

Your side colums appear to be drywall?

If your install doesn't meet the FPX specs, I'd think that gives your insurance company an 'out' if there's a problem. Personally, I'd make sure it was to specs.

If you call them and ask them about it, you need to be ready to address it.

I stood on top of every person involved with my hearth to make sure it was to specs. Most installers/construction folks - at least around here - don't pay any attention to consult the manual. Maybe you can go back on them, but it's YOUR house and YOUR family living there.

Status
Not open for further replies.