FPX 36-Elite vs. HNG North Star fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt Ski Bum

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2011
Dillon, Mt
Hi everyone-

As you may know from my previous thread, I am looking to replace an old zero-clearance fireplace in a place I'm moving into this spring with a new high efficiency zero-clearance fireplace.

The 2 main fireplaces I am considering are the Fireplace Xtrordinaire 36 Elite & the Heat N' Glo North Star. I know that they're both very good fireplaces from what I've heard. I do have several questions about them that I am hoping the diverse members of hearth.com can help me with.

1. My previous experience with high-effiency stoves/fireplaces has been with Secondary Burn models, which makes me lean towards the North Star since the FPX-36 is a catalytic model, but how different is it operating a Cat. model?

2. Is there a big price difference between those 2 models?

3. I can't seem to find a square-foot heating capacity for the North Star... does anyone know what it is?

4. I really like the way you can run a couple of heated air ducts from the North Star to other areas of the house, can the FPX do that also?

5. not super important- main curious, but I noticed that while the FPX & the North Star have very similar dimensions (only a couple-three inches difference), the FPX's firebox is a whole cubic foot larger- is there a reason for that?

6. Is one significantly heavier than the other? (this unit somehow has to make it up to the living room on the 3rd floor)- also related to that- is one easier to take apart for transport up 2 sets of stairs than another?

7. If I manage to tear the old ZC unit out in one piece, would it have any re-sale value? (might as well make a few bucks off of it if I can)

8. Finally, unrealated to the specific models, but are the cord wood BTU estimates for stoves & fireplaces based on hardwood or softwood? (If the ratings are based on hardwood, that'll mean they'll be lower for me, since I'll be burning softwood [which might actually be good, since the units are probably a bit large for the heating area])

Thank you everyone in advance for putting up with my long posts & number of questions! I'm trying to get as much info ahead of time as I can! :)

P.S.- this place is a rental, so does anyone happen to have any good "amo" I could use to help convince my landlord to authorize the project (or even better- help fund the project)?
Thanks again! :)

8. I believe stoves are tested with softwood, like construction scraps. Spruce, pine or fur. But, I would always go bigger than the square footage you need to heat. Which is not to say too much bigger, but at least the next step up from the model that supposedly heats the exact sq. ftg. you have. This way you're covered during below average weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.