FPX-36 First Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner73

Jul 22, 2008
NY
Built a very small fire for first burn. So small it did not even turn on the blower. Built a secon one (a little bigger). Fan turned on, got the paint cure fumes (yuk), and set off the fire alarms in my house. Hope that is the last time that happens.

First impression- unit is beautiful. DOes not put out asmuch heat as I thought. THat doesn't mean it isn't warming the room, I just expected to be sweating. I think some of it has to do with the wood I am burning. Not as seasoned as I thought.

FOr those of you who own this unit- How much wood do you put in when you (load it up). Roughly how many pieces (think od std firewood sizes).

Is it better to load it up with tons of wood or just add pieces one at a time.

When you light the fire what do you use to start it.....I am pretty sure I know the answer...but...is newspaper OK?????

Will post a pic tomorrow. THe mason I used did great job.

Just wanted to post some results:

1. Eats 2500 SQ FT amazingly. 30F outside- 75F First Floor, 70 Seconds...even rooms at end of hall.

Biggest problem-

DIRTY GLASS.

The glass has become almost opaque. I am convinced it is the wood I am burning. But just want to know do any other FPX owners have similar problems???
From what I an tell this unit does not have an air wash

TIA

Burner73 said:

1. Eats 2500 SQ FT amazingly. 30F outside- 75F First Floor, 70 Seconds...even rooms at end of hall.

Good to hear about how well it heats. I was wondering what your ceiling heights are like (ie. high vs. standard).

I ask because we are having the FPX 36 installed next week. 2500 square foot home evenly spread between two floors, fireplace on lower floor. The fireplace is located in the living room which has a fairly high cathedral ceiling and we are wondering what kind of heat trap that will be. My guess is that if you are getting good heat throughout your house, we will likely be OK. Might have to just employ the ceiling fan.

Sorry...I don't have an answer for your question about the glass yet :)

No I do not have high ceilings. Std.

Stairwell is central to house (typical 8 room colonial.)

I used newspaper with ash (search for method) on the glass. Worked like a charm.

TOnight I built a fire without the grate. Took a while to get it going but working well.

I am convinced I over paid for slightly lesss than seasoned firewood.

Will post a pic once final touches are done on face plate.

We put ours in last September. Our house is a 2200 foot Colonial in the Adirondacks of NY. It was below 0 last Sunday and just this unit kept if comfortable in the whole house. Our glass also gets black when I crank the air way down for a long burn. I've got some very well seasoned wood and some about six months. It doesn't seem to make much difference which I burn.

2nd season for me with FPX 36, here's what I do...

1. If cold-cold start, then I open window and use blow dryer for ~ 1 min just to get the air moving. I have massive neg-pressure so lit paper won't even work. I had this problem as well when I had an open fireplace with a gas starter, it would smoke me out as well. No paper either, those cedar firestarters that people have talked about here work great, I just use 1/2 circle.

2. When re-starting from an overnight or when back from work, just some kindling and off she goes. Also, before it really takes off I usually use this time to spray the window with a little vinegar-water, then wipe with a towel so nice-n-clear. Maybe every other day or so and depending if my wife just slammed in some logs, and closed the door. Then I'll use a few sprays of some easy-off and just comes right off. Ash and paper is ok, but seems really sparkly with the vinegar-water.

3. No grate, works great!

4. Use as much kindling as you can...I used to be kinda skimpy on this and found that it would struggle for maybe ~45mins. before the fan kicked on and then still awhile before it really got going. Now, I start with 1/2 the box kindling, and a 2-3 little splits on top, usually get's raging in 5-10 mins., let 'er go for another 20-30 mins. as it burns down, fan usually kicked on by now, and throw in the next load, char and leave it alone...oh yea, usually set the air control to maybe ~ 1/2 (half-ish), if all the way closed then yea I'll get dirty glass.

5. I can get 6-7 hrs. on an overnight load if some real nice "knuckle wood" but mostly 2-4 hrs. on other stuff. I burn Almond!

FPXDude- Couple of questions for you:

1. Do you get a decent overnight with the air control "1/2ish"? I got about 8 hours choked down (air control all the way right) but left me with a real black window.
2. Someone mentioned to me that if you run a stove ful-tilt the window should get cleaned by the air-wash. Is this really possible? Or does the air wash prevent soot on the window but not clean it once "blackend"?
3. Agreed that no grate works grate. I found laying kindling down a a make-shift burnable grate. Seems to allow for good air flow.
4. Cold air does seem to infiltrate if the unit is not running. (not too bad but noticeable). I had a gas unit prior that I left a blanket infront of the bottom because so much cold air came in. DO you have the same issue when cold out. I expect the unit to be cold to touch but not drafty.
5. How much many spilts do you load up the unti with. Do you fill in every space in the box or just load in 2-3 largish splits.
6. What do you mean by 1/2 circle with the cedar pieces?

BTW-
I have another post upand noted that this unit FPX36 heats my whole house (not basement). Pretty amazing device. I really did not expect so much heat output from a device in which only one side is exposed to the room.

1. I have recently changed from setting the air control at 1/2'ish to maybe 9/10th's closed. I get black window as well if I shut it down all the way. Like the guru's here say, get'r good-n-charred with hot-hot fire then I close it down to this. I'd say the cat is usually glowing a nice orange for about ~ 30 mins. before I do this. I think previously I didn't let it hot enuf long enuf.
2. I've tried the clean a blacked or sooted window with the full-tilt method, but it really only marginally cleaned it. I like it sparkly clean so a couple seconds of vinegar-water when I see some cloudyness and it's easier to maintain. I might usually do this after an overnighter when the window is cooler too. I don't let pieces get too close to the front either. I use the square andiron and try to keep it 1" or so behind this.
4. No noticeable air infiltrate if unit off. I dunno if your air damper (it's some automatic thing that opens/closes when the fan comes on) is staying open or not. Also, I'm in Sacramento so probably not as cold as NY.
5. Seems like my full load is 4 splits, and I can only load EW. When I'm going for the longer burn, I'll put a few 2-3" rounds in the middle and maybe a few small chunks on the side too. I think it's about as full as I can get it. I try to make sure that as they burn they fall back into the coals and not towards the window. Also, since now I'm closing the air down further I'm getting a little longer burn.
6. www.supercedar.com Hey, maybe I'll get some freebies for this, hahaha! But on coals and even from overnighter, I just use kindling.

Burner73 said:

Biggest problem-

DIRTY GLASS.

The glass has become almost opaque. I am convinced it is the wood I am burning. But just want to know do any other FPX owners have similar problems???
From what I an tell this unit does not have an air wash

TIA

Interesting thing I found out this year when purchasing a new Cat. The Cat for the FPX 36/44 Elite are the same! I believe the 44 is the 4' box vs 3' for the 36 Elite.
I think this helps to explain the heat output this thing puts out.

Status
Not open for further replies.