FPX 44 Elite Outside Air Humidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aseiser

Nov 1, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
How do you guys control the humidity level in you homes when burning FPX 36 and 44 fireplaces and pulling in dry outside air? My 44 is set up to heat outside air and I have a humidifier on my geothermal forced air system. I am going to change the humidifier to run when only the fan is on the geothermal is running, this should help. I am thinking about changing the 44 to pull a mix of outside air and air from my basement. Any thoughts?

I would think that you could modify the humidifier to run any time the fan is running but you would need some other control to shut it off during cooling season. Maybe just a simple on/off switch. Have your HVAC guy wire the humidifier to run any time the fan runs and wire in the on/off switch. Turn it on when you start heating and back off again in the spring time. I have an FPX 36 and I pull all of my air from inside the basement. It works very well. I didn't need the positive pressure as I have a new home that is tight. Hope this helps.

My humidifier is tied to the blower but it also has a humidistat in the return duct and I can dial how much humidity I want.

I don't have a basement. What I have is a 4 foot high crawlspace with insulated walls and a concrete floor and it is classed as conditioned space. I have a 650 CFM blower in the crawlspace blowing cold filtered air up to the stove.

I changed my humidifier to run when just the fan is running. It is working good. I also disconected the duct from the fan for the fireplace from the outside intake. I am just pulling air from the basement now and it seems to be working good. The fan on the fireplace runs more with more heat coming out. This change has not seemed to effect anything else in the house except the humidity level is much easier to maintain. I was afraid that the temperature of the basement would be colder but this does not seem to be the case. I think the positive pressure concept might be good for houses that aren't very tight, but for tight, well insulated houses there may not be much or any benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.