FPX Break-In Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakebit12

Feb 23, 2014
Shenandoah Valley
The mason is finishing up the rock work on my new FPX-44 so I need to start thinking about the break-in fire. The instructions that came with the unit recommend:

1. Slowly bring the stove to a medium burn, about 400°, for about 45 minutes.
2. Increase the burn temperature to a hot burn, about 600°, for an additional 45-60 minutes.

This is all well and fine except I don't have means to measure the temperatures. When I asked my dealer about installing a temperature probe, he responded:

"I talked to Travis tech about the catalytic temperature probe. They do not offer one currently nor do they recommend installing one because in order to install most of the after market probes drilling into the stove is necessary. If the stove is modified by drilling the warranty is void."

I wouldn't think that a surface thermometer would give you the internal temperature.

So, I figure that I need to approximate the temperatures via the two user controls - the bypass and the air control.

Does anyone have any advice on where to set these for this 1st burn?

When the manufacturer gives a recommended temp, they are not meaning internal. They expect this temp to be taken on the outside of the unit. A cat probe would not help in this instance either. It measures the core temp of the cat.
The break in fire is not very important in this unit. This is basically the same as a steel stove, the break in fire is really just to cure the paint. Having exact temps isn't very critical.

Thanks Webby. If they expect these temperatures to be taken on the outside, I could use a magnetic thermometer somewhere on the faceplate just to satisfy my curiosity? Or perhaps splurge on an IR thermometer?

Even if the temperatures don't need to be exact, it seems prudent to have some idea about how hot things are getting.

Last edited:
Get a magnetic one. Yes they may not be precise to the exact degree but it gives you an idea any how. And as far as placement, I lit my stove and felt around as it got going to find the spot that started warming up first and that's where I put it.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.