FPX Elite 44 Installed Yesterday, 1st Break-in Fire tonight, Pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods Dweller

Jul 29, 2008
South Jersey Woods
My Fireplace Extrordinair Elite 44 was installed yesterday. I pulled a Heatilator Icon 100 (only 2 seasons old) and replaced it with the FPX 44. This pic shows the old unit. That fireplace is huge, so I wanted my new one to be as big as possible while also having the ability to be a work horse with regards to heating. I considered the Napoleon High Country NZ6000 which is the biggest thing out there, but it required metal studs 84 inches above the stove header. That was not possible for my install because I have log wlls. The next couple of posts will show some install pics of the FPX 44.

Attachments

• hearth1.jpg
    hearth1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,460
Here is the bare and lonely hole in the wall, waiting for something warm and pretty to fill it!

Attachments

• hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,339
Here is the naked FPX 44 installed with out the doors and face.

Attachments

• 44install.jpg
    44install.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,459
Ah, thats better. Now she has some clothes on! The Artisan hand hammered face and doors cost me over $800 extra, but now that it's in, I glad I spent the extra $. It looks great. Much better than the pics.

Attachments

• 44 face.jpg
    44 face.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,830
Shes beautiful. Santa should have no problem fitting through that this Xmas.

Now this is what it's all about! My first break-in fire. Only fed it some squaw and some small splinters from splits. Good draft. Lit easy.

The cat and the fan kicked in after about 30 minutes. The fan is still blowing out heat and there's been nothing but some small coals in there for about an hour. So far (and it only the first day and it is only September!) so good. I think this stove is going to be a very good investment. It's rated at almost 80,000 BTU with up to 12 hour burn times. If I get 8 hours I'll be very happy.

I have to look at some finish options for the stone, but once it's finished, I think It will look great. Shoot, I think it looks great now. Especially when you consider that I've been looking at plywood for a couple of weeks!

Attachments

• 44 burnin.jpg
    44 burnin.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,424
I've never burned a stove with a cat so I'll have to get the feal of it and see how it goes. I can't believe how much heat this thing was putting out with hardly any fuel at all. The fan is VERY strong and has a variable control. That is good. I'm hoping the whole posi-pressure thing works as intended. Should heat our home pretty good.

That's a beautiful face! We had one of those units in our R&D;department about 2 years ago, and yeah that blower kicks ass. If I remember correctly it was 380 CFM and is a separate assembly. I've wanted to do that on a fireplace since you can set it up so it sucks air from an adjacent room which helps with circulation and you can use a huge blower, but sales always poo-poo's the idea as a drawback to the installation, but I disagree.

Yes the blower is a seperate assembly. Mine is mounted right to the outside wall of the chase to pull outside air in for the possi-pressure effect. Has a removable grill outside with a couple of filters that can be pulled and cleaned. It's about a one foot cube in size and yes, 380 cf. Not loud at all when you consider the amount of air that it pushes.

This is a great stove - I've had one since 2004. I wonder if my blower does not work right...while the unit gives a lot of heat once it's warmed up for a while, you really have to get close to the openings to feel the air coming out - even on high. What's your experience?

Very Nice. Did you self-install that monster?

Looks awesome, you're going to love it......the artisan face is the way to go, holds up well.

Y

markpee, last night was my first break-in fire and the fan puts out monster air! I turned it down to low while it burned because it was way too much for this time of the year. It put out a nice amount of air even while turnred all the way down.

How far is yours mounted from the stove? I read that the farther away from the stove the less effecient. Mine is about 2 feet from the stove on an outside wall. It really does push strong.

I'm getting ready to light another small fire after dinner. Good nite for break-ins. Going down in the 50's tonight.

LOVE the doors they look great. Nice job on the install

Thanks for the kind words. I am very pleased with it so far.

As far as the install goes, I took out the old fireplace and chimney system but had the pros do the new install. I wanted to ensure that all warrantee, insurance and legal matters were in place. I wanted to take out the old so I could take my time and make sure that none of the stone work was damgaged. Was some work but I'm glad that I did it myself. I ran the electric for the blower and had the chase opened up and ready for the installers. They probably don't get set up so well under normal circumstances, but they did do a good job. The only thing left is the finish work. I'm on the fence between doing it myself and hiring a pro.

My fan is about 20' away - this is because my unit is in the center of the house. I wounder what would happen if I moved it closer, or got a bigger fan? I remember when I first saw this unit in the showroom, the heat hit me from across the room - mine at home does not have that same effect.

WD,

We you able to find stone to match your existing stone? It sounds like you are fairly handy, and patching that in wouldn't be too terrible.

I just started looking for stone to match the old. Should be available. It was only installed a couple of years ago. My plan is to talk to a couple of pros. If I can get it done reasonably, I'll let someone else do it. If the job gets pricey, I'll just do it myself. I might just do it myself anyhow. I figure someone that does it for a living might have some ideas that I wasn't thinking of.

That is a really beautiful install. Looks like it should keep you nice and warm. Those first fires to see and feel really give you a sense of pride and satisfaction don't they? Best part is that you get that year after year with those first fires of the season. The rest of the season is all gravy. Nice Job, Larry

Thanks Larry. You're absolutely right. There is nothing like the first few fires to get the season going. I'm just burning a few small break-in fires (one going right now) this week but I'm already looking forward to cutting her loose. Just working outside with the smell of wood burning in the air seems to energize me. I love it! I expect this stove to bear the burden of my heating this year. I live in the woods and have plenty of wood to cut while the smell of burning oak and cherry fill the air. I am so blessed!

Hey Woods Dweller - I'll be giving my deposit tomorrow on my own Elite 44. I had read in a thread some users found there was a cold draft from the unit, I had them call the manufacture and they admit they had the issue a couple of years ago and have resolved it on a counter weight on the damper. They also suggested running the upper vents with a "p -trap" like configuration; I guess cold air has a difficult time going up hill. Anyway, hope your enjoying the fireplace, not that we've needed it the past couple of days. Lata

Rob in RI

Status
Not open for further replies.