Fpx large flush insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JASFARMER

Jan 14, 2014
Canton, IL
I have a zero clearance fireplace that is extremely inefficient. I have been doing research on inserts and have found out that you just can't slap one in. The fpx says their large flush hybrid insert can be used in zc fireplaces as well as masonry. I am looking for heat output and long burn times. I was originally interested in a bk princess but not sure if it will work with my setup.

Has anyone used the fpx hybrid in a zc fireplace

Has anyone taken out a zc fireplace and installed a bk princess, or can it be done

Does anyone have experience with both of them and give likes dislikes

Thanks in advance

You can't remove it and then install a stove in that alcove - you'd have to remove it and install the stove in front of it, etc. (depending on existing setup).....

Although some (small) inserts can be installed in ZC fireplaces, the cost will fairly high once you get done with a complete relining and you will not get what you desire in the long burn times and high output and efficiency. So, if you decide against an insert, that leaves:

1. Remove unit and chimney, install HT chimney and then a new stove on a hearth, etc.
2. Same as above, but install built-in high efficiency ZC (there are some decent ones).

The difference is mostly in the look and style. The freestanding stove provides the greatest choice of models, burn times, etc.

You can't remove it and then install a stove in that alcove - you'd have to remove it and install the stove in front of it, etc. (depending on existing setup).....

Although some (small) inserts can be installed in ZC fireplaces, the cost will fairly high once you get done with a complete relining and you will not get what you desire in the long burn times and high output and efficiency. So, if you decide against an insert, that leaves:

1. Remove unit and chimney, install HT chimney and then a new stove on a hearth, etc.
2. Same as above, but install built-in high efficiency ZC (there are some decent ones).

The difference is mostly in the look and style. The freestanding stove provides the greatest choice of models, burn times, etc.

I had planned on putting a liner in the chimney if that matters. My chimney is located on the outside of the house. Why would the efficiency be downgraded if I were to put an insert in my setup. Not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just trying to learn. The fpx website says the large insert can be used in my zc setup and the measurements given says it will fit. And when you say expensive how much are you talking.
Thank you for the info

Most ZC's are rather small - if you can truly get a larger (2.5+ cubic foot) firebox into there, you are at least getting somewhere.

Even then, a "stove" way back in a cold fireplace loses some efficiency - this is true of all inserts, even in masonry fireplaces.

As far as cost of installation, there is the stove and then the chimney liners and other work - probably $1500 on top of the stove (guess)...

Again, many ZC's are very small, so by the time you get an insert into them..that makes for a very small box. If yours is big, you are the lucky one.

I know what you mean by extremely inefficient...I have the set up your thinking about just not the stove. Stove, liner and install was around $3500 but I did it when the government gave the big rebates on stoves, so if I remember right after rebate was around $2000.

For me it was my best option the basic ZC stoves are almost like having a window open in your house. The insert I have is rated for my ZC ( I can't stress that enough safety first) and this stove is very efficient, I don't use it as my only heat for the house but with good wood this little stove and fan can put out some heat and if I load it right with the right wood (Oak) I can make it last so that it gives me coals from a overnight burn.

If your going this direction the look of your fireplace will change, the inserts are smaller for the money, maybe it makes more sense to rip it out but for me right now I wasn't going to spend $10K to do that and redo the chimney. You will burn totally different then what your doing now and save on wood. Those ZC eat up wood fast. Attached is a picture of what mine looks like...good luck and remember safety first...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 321
Most ZC's are rather small - if you can truly get a larger (2.5+ cubic foot) firebox into there, you are at least getting somewhere.

Even then, a "stove" way back in a cold fireplace loses some efficiency - this is true of all inserts, even in masonry fireplaces.

As far as cost of installation, there is the stove and then the chimney liners and other work - probably $1500 on top of the stove (guess)...

Again, many ZC's are very small, so by the time you get an insert into them..that makes for a very small box. If yours is big, you are the lucky one.

I know what you mean by extremely inefficient...I have the set up your thinking about just not the stove. Stove, liner and install was around $3500 but I did it when the government gave the big rebates on stoves, so if I remember right after rebate was around $2000.

For me it was my best option the basic ZC stoves are almost like having a window open in your house. The insert I have is rated for my ZC ( I can't stress that enough safety first) and this stove is very efficient, I don't use it as my only heat for the house but with good wood this little stove and fan can put out some heat and if I load it right with the right wood (Oak) I can make it last so that it gives me coals from a overnight burn.

If your going this direction the look of your fireplace will change, the inserts are smaller for the money, maybe it makes more sense to rip it out but for me right now I wasn't going to spend $10K to do that and redo the chimney. You will burn totally different then what your doing now and save on wood. Those ZC eat up wood fast. Attached is a picture of what mine looks like...good luck and remember safety first...

So if I understand this correctly, you took out your old zc and replaced it with a free standing stove in the same area. Did you put in a liner? Was the cost the deterrent for you with a stove over an insert. I am still contemplating taking out zc and putting in a liner and getting a long burning insert. I have attached a pic of my current setup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 302
No I did the opposite, I left the ZC and put a insert rated for my ZC in it. I also added a liner which is a must. The total cost was after the rebate around $2300. This stove is very small 1.3 c inch and burn times are not what you would get in a bigger stove.

I like the smaller box so for me it was a no brainier to leave the ZC in. If you want something bigger you won't like this set up it takes more work adding wood, cutting wood smaller and starting fires...which I like. I wasn't going to pay $10,000 to rip out the ZC this was a new house just 4 years old so I figure maybe in 10 years I might change it...but for now I love the heat. Hard to explain the difference you will see when burning.

The picture I enclosed shows the insert inside the ZC stove with a surround. A fan is a must...

W
No I did the opposite, I left the ZC and put a insert rated for my ZC in it. I also added a liner which is a must. The total cost was after the rebate around $2300. This stove is very small 1.3 c inch and burn times are not what you would get in a bigger stove.

I like the smaller box so for me it was a no brainier to leave the ZC in. If you want something bigger you won't like this set up it takes more work adding wood, cutting wood smaller and starting fires...which I like. I wasn't going to pay $10,000 to rip out the ZC this was a new house just 4 years old so I figure maybe in 10 years I might change it...but for now I love the heat. Hard to explain the difference you will see when burning.

The picture I enclosed shows the insert inside the ZC stove with a surround. A fan is a must...

We're there some inserts that were rated for different zc fireplaces.

Unless you have a massive ZC box, a princess or a flush hybrid aint gonna be close to fitting! There are a few exceptions, but most are too small to fit these units. A Travis 1750 is a decent fit for most ZCs. Just because it will technically fit, doesn't mean you will be able to hook it up. You will need 6" or so to make the connection above the insert. Almost always an elbow is needed to align the flue outlets.

Th
Unless you have a massive ZC box, a princess or a flush hybrid aint gonna be close to fitting! There are a few exceptions, but most are too small to fit these units. A Travis 1750 is a decent fit for most ZCs. Just because it will technically fit, doesn't mean you will be able to hook it up. You will need 6" or so to make the connection above the insert. Almost always an elbow is needed to align the flue outlets.

Thanks for the info. I am looking for good burn times with good heat output. What could I expect for burn times with a smaller box

If budget is an issue the least expensive option is to slip an insert in your existing zc fireplace. If the size if your zc permits a larger insert like webbie said, you're in luck. If not than the least expensive option for long burn times may be installing freestanding stove elsewhere in the house and leaving the zc as it is. Just figured I'd throw that out there. Good luck.

Th
If budget is an issue the least expensive option is to slip an insert in your existing zc fireplace. If the size if your zc permits a larger insert like webbie said, you're in luck. If not than the least expensive option for long burn times may be installing freestanding stove elsewhere in the house and leaving the zc as it is. Just figured I'd throw that out there. Good luck.
Thanks for the input. By my measurements I can fit a large Avalon hybrid. I know a free standing stove probably would heat better, I'm just gonna try and use my existing space. Maybe someday down the road I'll have an insert downstairs with a stove elsewhere.

Th

Thanks for the input. By my measurements I can fit a large Avalon hybrid. I know a free standing stove probably would heat better, I'm just gonna try and use my existing space. Maybe someday down the road I'll have an insert downstairs with a stove elsewhere.
Many of us heat our whole home with an insert. You'll probably do really well if the large insert fits in there.

Yeah, that's good to know that an insert that size (iirc it's about 3 cf firebox) is mfr sanctioned for ZC fireplaces, if you can fit it in there.

Many of us heat our whole home with an insert. You'll probably do really well if the large insert fits in there.

I have the FPX large flush hybrid. Above 30 degrees it heats my whole house (2,500 sq ft) to around 67 degrees. When it dips to 20 then it keeps it around 64 by itself. When it's single digits and below it augments the furnace. However...mine is installed in a great room covered in giant windows and a 25 ft ceiling so that doesn't help at all. I imagine if I had regular ceilings this would keep the house in the low 70's.

I have the FPX large flush hybrid. Above 30 degrees it heats my whole house (2,500 sq ft) to around 67 degrees. When it dips to 20 then it keeps it around 64 by itself. When it's single digits and below it augments the furnace. However...mine is installed in a great room covered in giant windows and a 25 ft ceiling so that doesn't help at all. I imagine if I had regular ceilings this would keep the house in the low 70's.

How many sq ft is the room is your insert is in. When I get one it will be in lower level and I'm hoping some fans will move air up stairs.
How do you like the fpx?

How many sq ft is the room is your insert is in. When I get one it will be in lower level and I'm hoping some fans will move air up stairs.
How do you like the fpx?

Love the FPX. I was a little disappointed at first that I wasn't hitting 70+ degrees throughout but the more I researched the more I realized it probably wasn't gonna happen with 25 ft ceilings in the main room and all the windows I have. Plus there is only some fiberglass shoved up above the lintel. In the spring I'll do roxul and a block off plate and see how much that helps.

The main room it's in is 350 sq ft but it opens right up to the kitchen which is another 250ish. Mine has no problem with circulation but that's because the great room in my house opens to the upstairs hallway. I run a ceiling fan to keep some of the heat downstairs in the stove room and a floor fan at the furthest end of the house upstairs blowing cold air towards the stove room. This keeps it an even temp through the whole house give or take a degree or two at the furthest ends of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.