FPX Proper burn procedures?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My new neighbor has a FPX fireplace in the home. He's never burned except old school wood stoves when he was a kid. I was telling about that unit in there when I first talked to him and he's asking for help.
I know that thing needs a new cat because the previous owner burned damn near green wood, all the time,and groan about how crappy it burned, got mad at it one night and busted the glass in one half out, and never used it for the last couple years he lived there. Basically, just beat the crap ouf the thing in general, it looks like it's 30 years old.
Anyway, I've never burned a cat stove, I know you open bypass and let get going, then engage cat. How long before engaging cat? Until up to temp so to speak? Or just ujtil some flames start going on their own? He's asking for help, so I' dlike to get him on the right path at least. I dunno why, it's not mine, it's always kinda been disheartening to see what the previous guy did with it.

After starting, I'm wide open for maybe 20 mins., then maybe 3/4 closed for another 10 mins. and I'm starting to see some glowing, then after about 30 mins. fully close. By now the fan kicks on and is also another good indicator it's ready. This all of course with a full load and good startup.

Reactions: 73blazer
Status
Not open for further replies.