FPX36 / FPX44 External Temp gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner73

Jul 22, 2008
NY
Does anyone have an external temperature gauge for their FPX? If so:

1. Which one do you have?
2. Where do you put it on the stove (I assume somewhere on the door)?
3. What is considered safe/not safe for burning temps?

I know there is a thermocouple option for the combustor but that is really not an option for me since everything is grouted it. Would rather not break everything apart.

Thanks.

I don't have a gage for my FPX36 so therefore don't track temps. I am interested as well to what others are doing and what are safe/unsafe temps. The owners manual says almost nothing about firing temps and so I don't even pay it any mind. I am curious if it's even possible to reach an unsafe temperature.

My external temp gauge is an IR gun. I have the gold face and didn't want anything cluttering it up, plus nuttin' would stick to it anyway. I'm usually running between 450-650.

Trail_Time said:
Burner,

Not familiar with the thermocouple option... can you explain?

You put a thermocouple in the catalytic and wire it up to a temp reading device on your mantle. Basically you use it to see if it is a good time to engage the cat.

I am curious at what temp is the FPX considered to be overfiring?

I have never seen it glow but the front of it has become very hot at times.

Dave

I have a FPX 36. I have a "stove top" temp gauge that I bought from Condar. However, I find the combustor temp gauge more useful. I have the "stove top" gauge mounted at the top of my left door. My gauge never gets over about 350. I am not sure that you could overfire one of these units without blocking off your vents. However, I still monitor it closely and shut down the air completely before leaving the house just in case. Just my $.02.

Just started using my FPX44 and wondering the exact same thing. I get putting the probe in the cats to make sure they light off - but what I haven't seen and understand how that translates to "overfiring" the unit or just letting the heat go up the chimney.

For my little Hearthstone it's rather obvious.

So I just ordered the Condar digital unit. The instructions from Travis don't match at all what Condar says, and besides - the Travis instructions lack:

1. The probe is too big to fit 1/2" INTO THE CAT as indicated in the instructions.
2. There is no hole to remove a screw that I can tell (the schematic is almost lacking here) to run the probe into the stove.
3. Not really sure if I drill a hole where int the stove, and the probe is too long to go into the cat, so a part of it would stick out of the stove methinks. Maybe I need to be on TOP of the cats, not in front. Can't really tell.
4. Travis instructions call for the 9-88. Condar's site doesn't list that model, so I got the 9-86 (Condar lists the FPX by name as compatible...)......

Call to Travis will be done tomorrow.

That cat probe should sit on the exhaust side of the cat, not in front and also within 1/2" of it not inside it. Once you get it installed it will really help with light offs and monitoring temps. Try and keep her under 1600 for longer lasting cat life.

Yeah - not what the book says!

I'm not really sure how to position the probe - use bailing wire???? set it on top of the cat assembly??? I'm just not getting it.

Well the book is wrong. I contacted every cat manufacture and they all said it shouldn't be any closer than 1/4" or you will get an unusually higher temp due to the catalytic exotherm reaction. Can you slide it through next to your bypass handle and lay it on top of the cat so it sticks over it a bit?

So here's what Travis said to do, so I did it.

Technically the instructions were for the 44A, which does have a place for a temp probe. When they went to the Elite's since the EPA didn't require it the dropped provisions for a temp probe.

Travis said to drill a hole where the themocoupler/snap plate for the fan is on the side of the box and run the wire out. Poke though some of the cat material to place the probe.

Here is where the thermo-switch for the fan resides - behind the first brick on the right (when you face it) side of the unit.

Remove plate, drill hole for wire.

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 505
Inserting probe following conduit for the fan wires from the fire box plate (this is from the front of the unit). This is the little box where the rheostat for the fan on the front of the unit is. Since the plug to the temp reading unit is larger diameter than the probe, I worked my way backwards from the front of the fire place.

Attachments

• Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 470
You can see the probe sticking out from the conduit behind the plate in the firebox. I chase the probe further out and then inserted it through the 1/4" hole I drilled in the plate.

Attachments

• Plate Finish.jpg
    Plate Finish.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 472
Probe pulled through and plate back where it belongs. To finish up I smeared a bit of furnace cement to close the hole.

This is before I ran the wire to the side of the unit and smeared a dab of furnace cement to keep it in place. The wire is pretty stiff on it's own so I don't expect it to be in the way. I tucked it up high and to the front wall.

Attachments

• Plate finish2.jpg
    Plate finish2.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 468
This pic is looking UP the flue to the cat.

I removed the cat and took a flat bladed screwdriver and removed one vein in the middle of the middle cat so I could place the probe in there. The Travis rep said I could do this and recommended it, really. I will say I was indeed rather nervous about poking and prying on an expensive part.

It's roughly 1" or so in the cat, nearly in the middle.

This is how the Travis rep told me to install the unit.

Attachments

• Cat.jpg
    Cat.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 485
Finished product. Ran the wire underneath the rheostat box. No more holes required drilling, no motar needed to be replaced - clean install. Although I do agree the temp gauge looks pretty silly next to the nice fireplace and the rock. Eh. I'll be able to stop using it once I understand how the fireplace works and check on the cats every once in a while. I can stuff extra wire back into the box if I need to.

As for temps, the book says to engage at 600. The tech rep said to run the unit between 750 and 1,500.

Attachments

• Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 486
No, haven't. Out of town and it's in the high 60s during the day. Almost not worth doing until it gets colder until the temps are lower. My house is insulated pretty well and I can have the house at almost 80 degrees pretty quickly.

Forgot to add: nice post with pics! Looking at the Condar instructions it states mount it on the exhaust side, 1/2" away, and not to allow the probe to touch the combustor. Seems like having it inserted into may cause the probe to overheat.

Trail_Time said:
Forgot to add: nice post with pics! Looking at the Condar instructions it states mount it on the exhaust side, 1/2" away, and not to allow the probe to touch the combustor. Seems like having it inserted into may cause the probe to overheat.

Yeah, I don't get why Travis suggested inserting the probe into the cat. I was told by a couple cat manufactures that if it was closer than 1/4" it will give inaccurately higher readings.

The way it's constructed you have to drill a hole in the top plate. Not sure that would be good. The exhaust side of the cats are not visible from the bottom of the unit.

We will see how it goes. Condor says to do what the manufacturer says. We will see. Still pretty warm do it may be a few days or week or two before I can get the unit rockin.

Built a smallish fire the other day to cure the furnace cement I used (opened windows and doors to let the heat out!).

I left the primary air open the entire time and only put in a few splits and did a top down fire. I noticed that the blower kicked on and the temp gauge registered 400 degrees. So, it seems that at the very least from that little experiment you'd want to wait until the blower kicks on before you engage the cats.

Also, have to unplug and replug the battery in the Condar unit to get it to display - button didn't work. Quick Email to Condar and they are sending me another unit with a prepaid box enclosed to return my old one. Very, very satisfied for how the handled that....didn't make me return the one I have FIRST...nice. Very responsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.