FPX36 / FPX44 External Temp gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, built a nice fire this AM.

With initial load up to the fire bricks the fan kicked on @450 on the thermometer with by-pass engaged (cats NOT on). I waited until the temp meter said 600, then I engaged the cats. Temp rose very quickly to 1050 and stayed there for a good while.

After a couple of hours the coals were low it was cruising at @900 for a pretty good while. You can see the coal bed present in the pic (the readout says 850 because I just poked the fire).

I really don't see how the probe is reading too high as when it said the temp was 1000 that thing was kickin out some heat. At an indicated 850 I couldn't see that the cats were red, however. Not sure what temp they are supposed to glow.

Attachments

• FPX in use.jpg
    FPX in use.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 203
jonwright said:
With initial load up to the fire bricks the fan kicked on @450 on the thermometer with by-pass engaged (cats NOT on). I waited until the temp meter said 600, then I engaged the cats. Temp rose very quickly to 1050 and stayed there for a good while.

When you engaged the Cat did you notice if it started to glow right away?

jonwright said:
With initial load up to the fire bricks the fan kicked on @450 on the thermometer with by-pass engaged (cats NOT on). I waited until the temp meter said 600, then I engaged the cats.

I'm confused by this statement. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. When you say "by-pass engaged(cats not on) - do you mean the by pass control is pulled out (thus cats not engaged)?
If thats what you mean, I get it....

This has to vary by the coal bed, but curious as to how the temps drop as the fire coals, then how quickly after a reload (on a decent coal bed) it gets back up to 600. Clearly, there will be lots of variable but your experience would be interesting as a guideline.

Got Wood said:
jonwright said:
With initial load up to the fire bricks the fan kicked on @450 on the thermometer with by-pass engaged (cats NOT on). I waited until the temp meter said 600, then I engaged the cats.

I'm confused by this statement. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. When you say "by-pass engaged(cats not on) - do you mean the by pass control is pulled out (thus cats not engaged)?
If thats what you mean, I get it....

yup

Got Wood said:
jonwright said:

When you engaged the Cat did you notice if it started to glow right away?

Nope. Temp meter needed to climb just north of 1000 before they glowed initially. Once they were lit they rather stayed red to some degree down to 900. Guess it depends on how hot the rest of the firebox is, how long it's been coaling etc.

I will say that after I engaged the cats at 600, immediately after engagement the smoke was the same. At 800 a few minutes later the smoke was considerably LESS as the fire was building (and flames getting higher even) then at about 1000 there was no smoke at all.

Thanks. After 3 years I'm still learning. Appears I am engaging the Cat too soon based on what your finding.

I would say on a cold firebox a good rule of thumb is to wait probably 10 min or longer AFTER the fan kicks on. If the box is warm already you shouldn't have to wait that long after you reload I'm thinking if the fan is still on.

I'm still not convinced my temp meter isn't too high. I'll call around to Condar and Travis if I have time today.

Status
Not open for further replies.