Fröling brochure for US

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownianHeatingTech

Minister of Fire
Thought folks might like to see the brochure for the US version of the Fröling wood boiler.

http://www.woodboilers.com/userfiles/file/FrolingTurbo3000_5.pdf

It's a slick unit. Peak output is not as high as some other models allow for, but with 7.4 cubic feet of firebox on the largest model, it can handle a larger load of wood, so I expect that a properly-designed system with a Fröling 50 and storage should be able to run as long as with a Solo Plus 60, or other similar boiler.

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it :)

I'm liking what Tarm (BioHeat, now) has been doing. Options for various pricepoints: Solo Plus (Chevy), Solo Innova (Cadillac), and Fröling (Rolls).

Anyone want a Fröling? :) I'm itching to do an install with one of those, now... If I didn't need to build an addition first to house the boiler, I'd put one on my own place!

Joe

I just talked to Tarm about the Froling. Price is around $12,000 for the big one. The first shipment is expected in November.

Reggie Dunlap said:
I just talked to Tarm about the Froling. Price is around $12,000 for the big one. The first shipment is expected in November.

Actually, that's the price for the smaller ones (at least, according to the pricesheet they sent out Friday). The 20/30 is $12,054. The 40/50 is $13,554.

Add trim and tanks and installation material and labor, and I'm expecting that these will typically be about $30k, professionally installed (variable depending upon size, and the details of the installation, obviously).

It's a lot of money, but it's a lot of boiler. Those who want the Rolls can expect to pay for the Rolls, but generally those who want the Rolls are willing to do so, because that's what they're looking for...

Joe

Holy smokes!

beautiful engineering, and it's exciting to peek at the cutting edge of what's going on, but outta my financial league.

that said, I have known people over the years who are really frugal but drive Mercedes, on the theory that on a life-cycle cost basis they are (or at least used to be) cheaper per mile.

and I've always really liked the expression I once heard of "I'm too poor to buy cheap products that won't last"

Finally, someone is taking the leap to bring the best technology to the US. Just plain exciting to see what good engineering and technology can do.

At the same time it's a bit sad to realize once again that US innovation is increasingly becoming follow the leader rather than being the leader of the pack.

jebatty said:
Finally, someone is taking the leap to bring the best technology to the US. Just plain exciting to see what good engineering and technology can do.

At the same time it's a bit sad to realize once again that US innovation is increasingly becoming follow the leader rather than being the leader of the pack.

We've had it too good for too long here. You don't need innovation when the wood is cheap, environmental regulations are barely enforced and people just want the easiest way out. That's why we have crappy wood guzzling OWB's and gas guzzling cars and the Europeans have better quality and engineering, built to last rather than built to last 5 years.

The biggest reason for this is that the Europeans have had limits, resource availability, strict environmental controls, particularly in densely populated areas and an economic system which generally considers all external costs and benefits. (Craig's old story 'Thoughts from Denmark' is a pretty good read.) And, they have chosen to live within those limits. We haven't had very many limits and the powers that be have tried to deregulate the ones they didn't like.

Don't worry too much though. We are in for some pretty lean times ahead so in the face of those limits maybe we'll be able to do some development of our own.

Joe...
Is there a VW model available??

Can anyone explain the no ceramic in the kunzel, link provided by Hansson. It will burn smaller joinery scraps as I understand it. Tarm is now selling Froiling?

BrownianHeatingTech said:
I'm expecting sales of things like the Fröling will be mostly for new construction. The added cost is small, in terms of what it does to the monthly payments on a 30-year mortgage. Hopefully, more prospective homeowners and builders will research these products and plan them into the build.

You know, sometimes the market does crazy things...

Fröling's are selling 2:1, at least in my direct experience. I'm giving a discount (approx. half the cost of the difference between the Fröling and the Innova), but I'm still surprised that folks are willing to shell out $1500 extra for the Fröling, in this economy. At that price, I actually make less profit on the Fröling's than on the Innova's, but I want to get some of the Fröling's out there and operating. It's a very slick boiler...

Joe

Joe,
Do you have these boilers installed, or still waiting? I'm being told mid - December

Chris

Chris S said:
Do you have these boilers installed, or still waiting? I'm being told mid - December

Mid-December is the correct ship date for the bulk of the orders. If I recall correctly, the boilers have been delivered to Bioheat, and are undergoing the final assembly process right now, so that date should be fairly accurate.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.