1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fracked gas in populated areas increases disease vastly

Post in 'The Green Room' started by webbie, Mar 24, 2012.

1. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    I don't, we are now in a globular economy like it or not.
    As far as building an 11 billion dollar refinery that sounds like a lot jobs now and in the future.
    Plus we can ship all that nasty fossil stuff to china and help our trade imbalance,and keep all the solar and wind for our use.
    PS
    WE have been exporting our naturaul resouces for many years.
    Lumber, coal, iron ore, to mention a few. Plus way to much corn.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sesmith

sesmith Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Yea, I do. I live in an area where they plan on doing the sucking, so it hits a little close to home. I "might" feel a little bit differently if the natural gas boom would really directly benefit everyone here. There still won't be natural gas supplied out to the rural areas who have to mostly rely on oil and propane. The gas will be sold elsewhere and the people here will be left with the environmental damage that will remain for years, maybe generations. I don't see the benefit long term.
  3. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Not true sesmith natuural gas pipe lines are being biltout from penn.line,
    thru Coventry,to Afton, Bainbridge, and Sidney. The line will supply gas to Anpenol Cable, and then up rt 8 to Chobani
    yogurt in South New Berlin.
    Any one close along the line can get hooked up. It's only start but you have to start some were.
    The anti. gas folk's tried very hard to stop this cheap clean energy being made available to rural towns.
    While they enjoy the very same gas in Binghamton and anti heaven Ithaca.

http://www.wbng.com/news/video/Leatherstocking-Pipeline-Up-For-Debate-In-Sidney--.html

http://www.wbng.com/news/video/Leatherstocking-Pipeline-Up-For-Debate-In-Sidney--.html

4. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Gas lines locally depend on population density. I have one running about 1/4 mile from our house, but it ain't coming down our road according to the gas co because we lack the population density. They will put it in, if each of us forks over 20-30K, and that doesn't include running it up to our houses.
  6. sesmith

sesmith Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    From what I've read, the Leatherstocking pipeline is a more or less local thing supplying the Sidney area with natural gas from existing conventional wells (ie, not Marcellus gas from unconventional drilled wells in Pa.). At least that was what it was billed as:

http://eidmarcellus.org/blog/leatherstocking-will-bring-cost-savings-not-marcellus-development/

The pipelines I have been reading about lately are more like this one:

http://marcellusdrilling.com/2012/03/new-1b-marcellus-gas-pipeline-coming-from-ne-pa-to-md/
  7. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    What a maroon! That guy needs some tranqs badly.
  9. sesmith

sesmith Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    yes, I would much prefer wind or solar.
  10. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
  11. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    You're looking at it all wrong.

It isn't yours. They're the ones that own it.
  12. sesmith

sesmith Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    It will be, at least pretty close to me (the next hill over). Enfield Energy / Black Oak wind farm is due to start construction this year. Should be able to supply half to 3/4 the electricity needs of Tompkins county. Hope to buy my electricity even more locally than I'm doing now. Currently buying wind power through Community Energy via NYSEG. The wind power is produced in NY and Pa.
  13. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
  14. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
  15. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Indeed, just opened this thread and saw the comment. I meant mrgreedylandowner. It was not about anyone on the forum.
  16. TIM RUTMAN

TIM RUTMAN Guest

17. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    "By October 2009, the D.E.P. had taken all the water wells in the Sautners’ neighborhood offline. It acknowledged that a major contamination of the aquifer had occurred. In addition to methane, dangerously high levels of iron and aluminum were found in the Sautners’ water."

Sounds like a good reason to get rid of the D.E.P. Over-reaching government institutions are decimating the value of private property! If it wasn't for the pesky D.E.P. nobody would even know about this.
  18. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
  19. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who benefit or at the very least are indifferent to the suffering of a few people affected. I'm totally in favor of fracking the everloving crap out of someone else's land as long as my own water is safe. Lower prices for me and I don't have to deal with it. Sounds good to me, so frack away. Feel bad for someone who loses everything they've ever worked to get, but hey, as long as we underfund the court system I'll only have to hear about it on liberal media channels and I can filter that pretty easy.

Here's one dated Feb 2012 with more than a single comment. Be proud of your town.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-742456
  20. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Clip is five months old, EPA all methane/ chemicals are naturaly present in NE PA.
    All landowners involved signed gas lease's.
    All were offered 2x value of home plus filtration system.
    And still own properties.
    The leader of the group is building a 5,000 sq ft house on the same land,
    with the royalty money he is still receiveing from the gas company he is sueing.
    Go figure!
  21. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:

Who decided the value of the land? I could tell you your house was worth $100 and offer you $200. Would that be a fair offer?
    If they signed a lease, then I guess they have no recourse. Unless of course Cabot screwed up, meaning they violated the lease. Are you saying they have no recourse if Cabot violated the terms of their agreement?

You can flush a lot of stuff out in 5 months. I'm sure if you run enough water through a well you can get it pretty clear. You're right, they've got nothing to complain about. Stupid hillbillies.
  22. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Maybe stupid hillbillies, but I suspect slick lawyers.
  23. Otis B Driftwood

Otis B Driftwood New Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Webbie, thanks for having the curiosity and bravery for starting a topic
    that easily can become heated ( sorry ) and partisan.

Count me in as a former Big Gas supporter. I've seen the persuasion
    pieces, "Gasland" and various YouTube® propaganda reports and I have
    to agree that there are too many unknowns and known subterfuge by the
    industry that it's necessary to put a hold on further tapping. Of course,
    knowing that favorable public opinion is now waning, the industry is putting
    out all the stops to tap as far and frequently as possible before banning shuts
    it out. That alone is enough to give in to the obvious question, "Why is Big Gas
    pushing so hard?" The industry knows it's subverted laws and transparency
    since it has much to hide. Detractors are pigeon-holed as "ignorant", "liberal",
    "anti-capitalist" types who are relegating all non-conforming countries into
    obsolescent panderers for foreign oil, or worse, idealist greenies routing
    for sustainable energy technologies that have No Chance in Hell to work.

Vermont has just banned fracking. I can read it now: "Hippy liberals in backwards
    Vermont just dissed the best friend it had: us, Big Gas." No, we're just asking for
    simple answers instead of stock replies as, "It's safe! Trust us!" Right. OK.
    Now, PROVE IT. Let's see the chemical "formula" lists. It took a SUBPOENA
    to get Halliburton to release that list. Is that being transparent? An actor of
    Good Faith? We've seen this pattern before. The whole thing smells.
    As was stated earlier, they're taking the cash now and kicking the
    can down the road. Sick 25 years from now? Your prob, Bud.

I find it amazing that as Americans we can spew endless exhaust in time wasting
    debate regarding budgets, abortions, and other non-issues that, with a little common
    sense, honesty and courage, we'd be able to traverse these issues, and out the
    persons who obviously have no value for OUR property and livelihood. We live
    in an era of extraction: Extraction of precious resources, extraction of our money.
    These people have to earn our trust first before they can be allowed to do business
    with us. We don't need strong arm tactics from bought legislatures, EPA boards,
    banks. We need leadership; statesmen who believe in the system who will use
    the system in the spirit it was designed to keep the public informed on exactly
    what is going on and who will be affected by corporate business. The minute
    information goes underground, the entire process, whatever it is, is suspect.

Again, if you doubt this pollution is happening, follow the money. If you think that
    regulation alone will fix it, Think Again. I've seen the data: one state has one reg
    agent for every 1500+ wells. Who are these compliance agents, Santa Claus?

For now, think I'll stick to good ol' reliable WOOD.
  24. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    At such low prices they're trying hard to slow down the tap.
  25. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny