Fragged by a splitting wedge.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
I saw a guy take some metal in the willie pounding on a wedge.
I hope he at least started wearing some clothes.
Course, it's probably fairly hard to pound on a wedge with a willie with clothes on ...

billb3 said:
LLigetfa said:
I saw a guy take some metal in the willie pounding on a wedge.
I hope he at least started wearing some clothes.
Course, it's probably fairly hard to pound on a wedge with a willie with clothes on ...

And my first outright laugh for the day came with this thread.

Dune said:
Problem is, having been struck hard and often enough, it will become hard, some from work hardening, and some from packing. Some people will tell you you can't pack steel with a hand hammer, just means they didn't try for long enough.

I agree. There have actually been some fine knives in the past that have been made entirely by cold-forging, all done with a blacksmithing hammer and anvil. A lot of work, but it keeps the grain size from growing when you heat treat. There was even a guy who was able to make perfectly serviceable kitchen cutlery by work-hardening low-carbon steel.

Best bet for a wedge in tough shape is to recycle it and buy a new one. Or not use one at all judging by what I'm reading here. There are gaps in most chaps that don't cover the jewels. My willie is cringing just thinking about the possibilities. :shut:

Status
Not open for further replies.