Framing in a Quad 7100, installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bratcop

Nov 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I have been lurking for a long time on this site and finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a Quadra-Fire 7100fp. It is going to be installed this tuesday, so I am busy roughing in for it. I am going to install cultured stone over concrete backer board around the new fireplace. I have a couple questions for the wise people on here who have already done something similiar. The face plate on the 7100 sticks out 1" proud of the rest of the fireplace. Should I build the framing so as to make the framing sit flush with the fireplace box, or should the fireplace box be slightly recessed behind the frame? I assume the CBB needs to be cut to match the arch of the faceplate, probably requiring the fireplace to sit recessed to the frame, but i want to be sure. Also, any suggestions on a typical mantle height (made of limestone) above the floor?

Thanks for the quick responses and happy Thanksgiving!

Bratcop

Welcome. What is CBB, cement backerboard? I haven't installed one of these units. Looking at the installation instructions, I'd think that the unit should be installed so that the face is flush with the walls in order for there to be a continuous plane of cement board from the walls to and across the fireplace.

cbb is concrete backer board, and upon looking at the installation directions, that is what I am going to do as well, flush with front face of framing. anyone got a range of height on the mantel?

Page 12 has the clearances.

MANTEL
Combustible and non-combustible mantel minimum height from base of fireplace to underside of mantel 60 in. (1524 mm).
Maximum mantel depth 12 in. (305 mm).

Better check the manual. There is a noncombustible fiberboard supplied with the fireplace that is installed on the front of the unit.
I built our surround (lumber and plywood) so that the fiberboard on the front of the fireplace was flush with the surround. I then screened and scratch coated
everything right up to the edges of the fireplace box. This edge is covered when the front panel is installed. Be sure when you install the cultured stone that you leave clearance for the removable front panel and for the doors to swing open. Thicker stones installed around the opening can limit the amount the doors can swing open. Our stone sticks out a little past the front panel and has a nice finished look. Consider using a color additive to cement, which will help it blend in with the stone.

Good luck with the install. You should be very happy with the fireplace, we love ours.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.