Frankenmuth Ash logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow there's some nice looking saw logs there. I wish I could find a couple nice ash saw logs to make some lumber out of, before they become extinct......I'd like to make a hutch or something out of it.....

Hey, for a dollar per log, that ain't a bad deal! ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well up here the mill wont pay you anything for ash so they are worth more for firewood. My father in-law is doing a job right now on a guys property that has about 26 acres mostly standing dead ash and we are taking it all out for firewood. We may saw some of the nicer logs and run them though a portable mill but thats about it. The other day i went snowmobiling and drove by many nice big straight standing dead ash, kinda a shame really.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have 30 of them. Well, trees not logs. Damn that devil bug.

On the bright side, it should be about 5 years of heat.

Michigan has been nuked and the bug lives by the slogan, "have wood, will travel" so neighboring states that are not yet infected - will be - and yes, it is a sad sight.

Back to the OP - do you think I should call and offer $2 per if they will deliver them :) it is only about 50miles 1 way??

Sometimes I think I should have kept count on how many ash trees we've cut. Still have many to cut yet but I have a feeling not all of them will go to firewood. I have several small ash trees and I'm considering cutting some and building deer blinds out of them.

On the ash logs on CL, that is a great bargain for someone who can haul them. No, that is a super bargain!

Wow there's some nice looking saw logs there. I wish I could find a couple nice ash saw logs to make some lumber out of, before they become extinct......I'd like to make a hutch or something out of it.....

Hey, for a dollar per log, that ain't a bad deal! ;)

before they become extinct? they grow like fricking weeds here.... While they do burn great, half the time I cut them down because they're a nuisance....

before they become extinct? they grow like fricking weeds here.... While they do burn great, half the time I cut them down because they're a nuisance....

You wouldn't say that if you were here... The countryside looks like a wasteland in places.

Well, if you were willing to travel to Ypsi, you could get this sweet deal http://annarbor.craigslist.org/grd/3661045153.html. I'm tempted, because they've come down from $220

Wood can be tough to come by down that way. I own a rental down there. A few years ago, I had to have a huge box elder taking down. I had the tree company just buck it and leave it on site. Posted a CL add for free firewood and the entire tree was gone in a few hours, including some rounds which had to weigh a couple hundred pounds each.

Wood can be tough to come by down that way. I own a rental down there. A few years ago, I had to have a huge box elder taking down. I had the tree company just buck it and leave it on site. Posted a CL add for free firewood and the entire tree was gone in a few hours, including some rounds which had to weigh a couple hundred pounds each.

It's not quite as bad as it was a couple of years ago, but so many people were selling firewood, trying to make a buck. I don't even bother with craigslist looking for scrounges. Anything decent is gone in about an hour.

That posting has been there for months.

You wouldn't say that if you were here... The countryside looks like a wasteland in places.

That's awful.... I do feel the pain... The reason I have so much locust in my piles is the damned locust borer... on the state road that borders my land... there are no living locust for a mile in either direction of my house.... probably 150 trees.. all dead.

The ash around me are doing just fine...

I haven't been out that way in a few years... My mom grew up in Croswell-Lexington... Her sister still lives in Redford TWP.... My ex-inlaws live in Warren and Troy...

is it really that bad?

Wait til it gets to you. Never seen anything like it. Kills every single Ash with nothing left behind in about 4 years. And what's with the add below me as I write, "We DON'T like young men! We want you!" And the women in the picture_g Sorry, I'm usuall use to seeing some add for a stove or something, not older men! I'm too afriad to join, has anybody else?

Wait til it gets to you. Never seen anything like it. Kills every single Ash with nothing left behind in about 4 years.

so at least it's not *quite* as devastating as dutch elm.... IIRC, it took less than 2 years to wipe out all of the Elms in this state...

so at least it's not *quite* as devastating as dutch elm.... IIRC, it took less than 2 years to wipe out all of the Elms in this state...

Yeah, the Dutch Elm was devistating here too. We still have a few Elm around and DED still gets to them every once in a while to this day. We even have one Chestnut tree left that somehow hid from the Blight. Today I heard of a new bug in New York. Called something like Asian Long Point Bettle or something like that. Guy tells me it takes out all the Oaks and it's heading west. Please, someone tell me this isn't true.

That sounds like the Asian Longhorn Beetle. It's been around for a few years. It's very devastating since it likes many different trees. Supposedly, maples are it's favorite. It's been around New York and Chicago for a while. It moves a lot slower than the ash borer because it can barely fly, so there is some hope.

I'm afraid between the imported bugs and acid rain, the change in our forests over the next 10 to 20 years is going to be crazy.

I'm afraid between the imported bugs and acid rain, the change in our forests over the next 10 to 20 years is going to be crazy.

the forest is always changing... I do my best to be a steward of my land..... fortunately the by-product of such heats my home :D

Ash makes beautiful flooring, I'm surprised mills won't take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.