"Frankenstorm" on the way east coast!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, No

I cheaped out and did not use Hurricane ties on my new shed!!
Should I run down to Home Depot and get some? >

Not unless you are expecting a hurricane ! :)

I put them on mine.
We get high winds, wood shrinks & gets loose at the nail joints.
Helps with any movement, including earthquakes.

I just picked up a 10K Generac generator at Home Depot. They had 3 in stock when I called, by the time I got there an hour later they only had the display model left. Really wasn't planning on buying it but got caught up like everyone else! Now just need to stock up on the beer tomorrow. Other then that we're ready for the storm.

okok i surrender, ill give in to the madness. Taking my boat out of the water tommorow and ill even top off the fuel tank and have 175 gallons of gas just in case :) you guys are scaring me

Many times, gas in the tank is better than money in the bank.
Better interest.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Well, I would like to let my fellow hearth members in the Philly area know that this storm won't hit us very hard. I just plunked down the money for a Yamaha inverter generator from Amazon.

Instant insurance.......that I won't need it. :)

Reactions: bas157 and NickDL
Latest possible computer models:

Attachments

• map_specnews11_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg
    map_specnews11_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 190
Ugh. Stress begins...facility managment and hurricans don't mix.
All i hear about is ARS Serv on WEEI sports talk radio, disaster recovery services.

we're ready (I think). I'm kinda hoping it's cold enough to be some snow mixed in.......

Yeah, I'm a little nuts....

Me too, year ago we got 20" of snow here, was a very scary night hearing all the tree's cracking all night from the weight of the snow

I don't normally buy into the hype of all this, probably because I've been in the Public Safety/Public Works field for so long, but it's up to each of us as individuals to prepare and protect ourselves and property. In my case, I have to be out in it, working in the worst possible conditions which is, often times, very dangerous. I make the preparations so my family is as safe as I can make them since I'm not there when whatever event actually happens.
Having said all of that....I test ran my generator yesterday and she runs like a champ!! Be safe everyone...especially those of you in the mid atlantic states.

Reactions: bogydave
And I bet if I asked for the blue van occupants to care for my pellets for me until the worst was over, they might have disappeared by then. Right? :)

Blue van gas'd and ready to roll. I have a nice dry place to store them. Heated too. Bag a day = Cheap rates! ==c

Reactions: Melissa220
According to "predictions" (ya, I know), this will be no "24hr" storm. Possible widespread power outages could last into election day in the Northeast. It's to start Sunday and peak with the arrival of Hurricane Sandy on Tuesday.

Better to be prepared then not to be!

My daughter, who is a meteorologist in WV called me last night and said "Just wanted to call to say goodbye." Should I be worried?
Ouch!

Looks like im in line for a direct hit and on the worst side of that. Ok Wonder how long my quarter barrel of beer will stay cold without power.......i can always move it outside hmmm priorities, priorities.

Reactions: ScotO
I
Is there no end to the misery??? Just getting cleaned up from a catistrophic earth quake, now we have to endure the worse storm in the last zillion years. Thank god I have a supply of George Dickel, a fine sipping whiskey, to help me through this. Also a couple Honda generators, and a large supply of pellets just in case for the first time in my life time, they are correct.

I think im going to invest in one of those water powered backup sump pumps. If i lose power during a rainstorm ill be bailing water constantly or my basement will flood.

Water powered? If you mean battery powered, get a generator instead. Not sure how long those batteries would last constantly pumping water.
I think im going to invest in one of those water powered backup sump pumps. If i lose power during a rainstorm ill be bailing water constantly or my basement will flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.