Franklin Scandia box stove Help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deanneddt

Hearth Supporter
Mar 30, 2010
Califorina
I recently came across this very neat stove that has franklin cast works on the side and the date 1979 that has a log cabin on it with deer and trees and it looks to be a maple leaf.
Quite honestly I am in the bussiness of buying and selling, that's how I make a living now a days. I buy estates. But I really have no idea about what a value of a stove like this is. I myself think it is very cool. It looks like it belongs in a log cabin. I have never came across one that was so pretty.
And I hope this question is not out of line but I was hopeing someone could tell me what a fair price would be to ask for it. I do have the legs for it they are just not on it right now. I hope my picture is not to big for this post. And I wanted to say thanks in advance for any help.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/deanneddt/ebay679.jpg

The value is not high. It is a Taiwan knock off of a Jotul 118. Additionally the stove is missing it's legs and appears like it may have been overfired, but hard to say just from a picture. Estimated value if it has no cracks or warped interior plates would be ~$0-50.

Heated my whole house for 18 years with the very same stove (see my sig line). It works fine despite what the naysayers will opine. A good friend gave it to me when he finally made enough money to buy a real Jotul. Maybe not the same quality of castings as a Jotul, but they ripped off a good design with that one. I did my best to kill it so I could get a nicer stove. Still, no cracks anywhere in spite of all the abuse I gave it. Finally, I burned a hole through the top baffle after all those years of burning it about as hot as I could. Replacement baffles are not available, so it's sitting outside rusting away. I don't think you'd be ripping anybody off if you asked $150-200 for it if it was in perfect condition, but I guarantee it needs to be completely torn apart and rebuilt, almost 100% chance it needs new side baffle plates inside. Not worth bothering with unless you want to use it yourself.

Just got this off craigslist. Didn't realize it was a rip off stove till reading posts on this site. So is this one a scandia too? Have not seen any pics of this moose one as a scandia but it sure looks like the other jotul 118 rip offs. It came with interior "short" liner plates. They are in almost new but rusty condition but only cover about 1/2 to 2/3 of the interior box. Also is there anyone who knows where to get some legs for this guy. Some say they've burned the scandia's for years and others say to dangerous. What do you think? Thanks in advance, E .........( I have not found any makers marks anywhere on the stove)

Attachments

• Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2,442
  • scan2.jpg
    scan2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,265
here is 1 more pic

Attachments

• scan3.jpg
    scan3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,825
Has anyone had one of these above? Thanks E

Looks like a copy Big. I'm pretty sure all the genuine Jotul had the Jotul name in the casting on the front of the stove door. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a photo of a Scandia 100 I used to own, but never used. As you can see, it has Scandia above the door and 100 on the door.

Attachments

• DSCF1411 for Craigslist.jpg
    DSCF1411 for Craigslist.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 6,935
I just bought it for $125. I guess i ripped myself off by not doing my research fast enough. Oh Well.

your sweating a few bucks. If it's worth 125 for you to use an enjoy, then you got a decent deal. If you bought it to flip it and make some fast money, you indeed ripped yourself off

Status
Not open for further replies.