1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Freakin' Humidity

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by subsailor, Jul 3, 2013.

1. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    The humidity in Maine the last couple of weeks has been ridiculous. Many times I have looked at my weather station and it's been over 70%. If anyone has not put a desiccant in their stove by now, they may be in for a surprise come fall. I don't know why I did it, but when I bought mine, I bought 2. Put one in the burn pot and the other in the ash drawer. I should be all set.
    Lousyweather likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    The only way I have kept my humidity down was to turn on my stove so I was not freezing when my A/C was running. :p
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    What I can't figure out this year is why the humidity in my basement is lower than in the house. With the A/C running just in the house. Nothing leaking that I can find.
  4. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Unfortunately I'm afraid this crap is going to become the norm. Another big T-storm tonight. Flood warnings are up again. Humidity in my house is 83%. It will be raining inside pretty soon!
  5. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Sub worst ive seen in recent years ! I guess i better do what youve already done where did you get them
  6. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Any hardware store will have it. Damp Rid. Comes in various forms. Get the containers. $4 and change apiece. I'm sure the BB's will have it as well in you're in L/A.
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia

And here I thought 60% in the house was bad. >>

Well, actually I know it is bad but it ain't 83%!
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Went outside and split a half cord tonight. It was only 84*F, but the humidity was hovering right at 99 - 100%. Just on the verge of rain, and everything was damp... including me!

We just had the second "wettest" June on record, and already have a good leg up on July after Monday's rain. I assume you guys in Maine thru Virginia must be seeing similar.
    ScotO likes this.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Same here in central PA, fellas......the humidity is so thick you can see a haze in the air all day long. I was cutting the grass during a break in the weather this afternoon and I though something was burning on my lawn tractor (a belt or something), but couldnt' smell anything burning......here it was just the haze, it was that thick. House isn't too bad (have the A/C running, humidity is around 55-60%), but walk outside and it literally starts to bead up on your hair.......

Agreed, Subsailor.....I think it's going to be a long, damp, humid summer here in the northeast and mid Atlantic states....I'll be top-covering all of my processed wood here in a week or two.
  10. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I remember when we moved here from Texas in 1985. I would be out dropping/cutting/splitting by hand in July in jeans and long sleeved khaki shirts. Sweat out the shirt and then it cools you. The neighbors thought I was nuts.

I have acclimated and now I think that was nuts. It wasn't hot then. Now it is brutal hot at the same temp.
  11. Jack Morrissey

Jack Morrissey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stoughton, Ma
    Thanks for the reminder! Bought them already forgot to put them in the stove,
  12. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

this is actually a pretty good point....in our summer cleanings, we are seeing a lot of nasty condensation/moisture in the stoves.....Im guessing it will be a good fall season for starting stoves that "just wont run" because no one bothered to clean it in the spring........and its not warrantee work either...yay! $$$$$$
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    De-Humidifier is going full tilt in the basement! No break between heating to cooling this season. Basically turned off the stove and fire up the a/c units. Was hoping for a cool start to summer, But the dog days are here already. Good excuse to drink even more beers! Starting before noon even! ;em

Stay cool!
    ChadD, Defiant, gbreda and 2 others like this.
  14. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

wimp! no A/C for me
  15. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I can't keep mine empty.
  16. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Like we need more excuses.
    Defiant and jtakeman like this.
  17. EastMtn

EastMtn Member

Is Dessicant Or Damp Rid Reccommended For Environments Under 25% humidity?
  18. newmountvernon

newmountvernon New Member

Loc:
    NE
    Burning pellets to eat the humidity :D
  19. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Dew Point is what makes you feel miserable, above 70 and it's nasty, this is the 2nd week so far with no cold fronts in site, never been this long and humid before here in Ct.
  20. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia

Your old id is active again. Ya didn't have to set up a new one. ;lol
    Jags likes this.
  21. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Use to agree with LW, but as I get older, that is changing. This stuff is the worst and it is the earliest and most I have used a/c and there is no break in sight!

On the flip side, getting in my 3.6 ton of North Country tomorrow morning :) They are going to stay in the humid garage for a long time cause the ground is way too wet and soft to get them to the basement. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it ;)
  22. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    The tile floor in the lower level of our raised ranch was actually slippery with moisture. I got out the dehumidifier which first read 90 %., Then it quickly started falling. Darn power meter is working overtime with this and the AC.
    Our dogs go out, but then start barking to come back in.
    I need to get into the garden, but it is either too hot or raining. We went camping once this year (in our travel trailer) that was a disaster. No further plans until this weather pattern changes.
  23. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    surely got the humidity outside but the house hasn't seemed too bad and haven't checked the stove. What's been really odd this year is most of the storms have been skipping me. They go through Perry County, the southern two thirds of Cumberland County and then fill in through Dauphin County. With this Bermuda high pumping tropical moisture up, it don't look to break anytime soon. Maybe this will help. http://www.liveweatherblogs.com/ind...wdiscussion&groupid=8&topicid=1122&Itemid=179
  24. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    How soon we all forget that last year was one of the longest and hottest summers on record;ex
  25. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I'll take last year over this crap anytime.
    gbreda and Joful like this.