Freaking COLD!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
slowzuki said:
Supposed to hit -30 C with windchill on top of that for the next few days.
yep its supose to cool off tonight!

I got 5.4F here, and it's dropping fast! Can't wait to go out and stoke the evening load. Got Wood?

Attachments

• Trailer 1comp.jpg
    Trailer 1comp.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 888
  • Woodpile Dec 6 to Jan14comp.jpg
    Woodpile Dec 6 to Jan14comp.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 863
I'm ready bring it on, I like being home to stoke the fire for small hot fires ..Here today we hit 0 for a low and 18 for a high not including the winds, the house for the first time in 0* weather stayed at temp I am happy with the EKO's performance..Dave

We're just about halfway through the degree days for the winter, so I hope everybody still has half of their wood allotment left.

free73degrees said:
We're just about halfway through the degree days for the winter, so I hope everybody still has half of their wood allotment left.
lot of wood left not sure my back going to make it!lol (got 2/3 of cord of hedge apple next to the furance)

I do love stoking the boiler, barefoot in my warm basement on days like these- currently 3 degrees without the wind. :coolsmile:

2º F here at 6:30. Thermostat reads 75º F. Going up to take a long hot shower. Yep, we love the EKO40. Probably the most satisfying project I've ever taken on short of learning how to fly.

It's 4 degrees here now at 6:30. My last fire was Monday evening at 4:30, Tuesday morning storage temps were 174 degrees so I left and went to the job-site. When I got back at 4:30 in the afternoon my storage was still up at 152 degrees. It was in the low 30s so I did not need a fire. I'll check it Wednesday A.M. and fire if necessary. Boiler was still at 125 degrees, no fire needed, at 1:00 P.M. when I decided to fire it up temp was 120. I burned a half load and achieved storage temps of 145 I re-stoked a full load at 4:30. Tomorrow I should see temp in the 170 to 180 range. Should be able to go all day before I fire. I want to tell you! It doesn't get any better than this. This radiant slab in our new shop stays 64 all day. I'm blowing the heat loss calculation off the charts with the extra attention to insulation and a tight build-out. I'm bragging and proud as can be at our new investment in a well insulated structure and the wood gassiffication and storage system technology. ;-) sweetheat

Just came in from adding the final load of wood tonight, it's 8:30 PM and it's negative -2.0F out side and 70.5 inside. I even fired up the ole' Jotul for secondary. Got plenty of wood left...

One picture show the wood in the Full position, the other two show where it is today.

Attachments

• Wood Pile Pre Boiler COMP.jpg
    Wood Pile Pre Boiler COMP.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 714
  • Woodpile Dec 6 to Jan14comp.jpg
    Woodpile Dec 6 to Jan14comp.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 710
  • Woodpile Dec 6 to Jan14acomp.jpg
    Woodpile Dec 6 to Jan14acomp.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 713
As I write this it is -24. I think we're going to see some records broken here in MN tonight.

Two nights ago I slept through the night and the house got down to 49. I've been keeping the stove stoked since and right now managed to get it up to 63. Once you get behind .........

It's -6* right now, but -20* with the wind chill. They already called school off for tomorrow as they are predicting a potential of -50* wind chills.

It's 73.5* inside and I'm in shorts and a t-shirt as I type this. ;-P

Decided my cars needed to start when I saw it was -16 at 0445. Moon out, snowing crunching under foot but the hairs in my nose were not freezing! It is not real cold yet.

It was still warm outside when I went to bed and boiler full at 10:30 PM. Boiler was 155, had some coals, fire started right up and 15 minutes later is a tad over 160 . Decided to turn on the box fan in front of the upright 18 rib radiator in my living room. This room also has 60 feet of baseboard and the air movement is nice.

Coffee pot turned itself on, my wife is moving around, this is a little early for me :) But I get big points for warming up the cars. I can hardly wait for the -30 that this is susposed to build to.

Stay warm

free73degrees said:

Still kinda warm here only -3 at 5 this am, I remember as a kid every winter we had a solid week of this it brings back fond memories of frozen pipes in the farmhouse. I hope we are half way through heating days as my wood pile suddenly seems small but I still have 4 cords to take me to spring. Boiler still going at 9hrs from last nights fill but down to bed of coals.

I spoke too soon! It's currently -16* this morning and the wind chill takes it to -30*. We don't get too many stretches like this, but it's not uncommon to see these temps at least a few times a season.

-19 at my house in northern VT and it's supposed be get colder tonight. We might hit -30. The PB is doing an excellent job keeping the house warm! I used 98 pounds of pellets yesterday and I checked the hopper this AM before I left for work and it looks like I'll use about 100 pounds today.

It's negative -8.3 F outside and 67.8 F in side. I still have yet to go outside and feed the monster...I wish it could load it self! %-P

Gotta love it. 0730 and -21F outside and our usual 61 degrees in the big living room. Time for a long hot shower, then another cup of coffee before it is off to work. The river is throwing off "steam", so you know it is cold. Lucky us, hardly any wind, just one of those beautiful New England mornings.

As they say around here. "Don't like the weather, wait an hour". Or as some of those famous cow farmers "over to" Vermont say about the weather tomorrow "can't say, not knowing".

I had a close call this morning due to the extreme cold. The heat storage tank got down to 131! If it had gotten below 130 the system would have switched to oil. I guess the 800 gallon tank is just big enough to get my house through the coldest night that I am likely to get around here.

free73degrees said:
I had a close call this morning due to the extreme cold. The heat storage tank got down to 131! If it had gotten below 130 the system would have switched to oil. I guess the 800 gallon tank is just big enough to get my house through the coldest night that I am likely to get around here.

That must have been just horrifying to you! Glad it worked out OK in the end!

I used 700,000 BTU in the last 24 hours. With only 30 feet of baseboard on my main floor, I have to bump the basement temperature up a bit to keep the main floor at temperature. Since the basement is less well insulated, that drives up my heat loss considerably. Temps like these require 10 or 11 hours of burn time per day. I didn't start my fire last night until 6:00, so I didn't quite get enough burn hours to carry me through until tonight. I actually restarted the boiler from the remaining coals this morning - something I almost never do.

Status
Not open for further replies.