Freaking rain!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It's been raining here since spring! I'm hoping the wood gets a chance to dry out before winter....

Matt

Here where i live in Ct we have had normal to below norm rainfall last few months.Its been hit or miss storms with some areas getting way above norm and others below.I would keep at least a cover for the top of the wood pile with a tarp or if you can!some kind of wood shelter.

I finally gave up trying to dodged the rain storms, here in Portland Maine it has rained every single night for 3 weeks straight. I was able to cut up a bunch of logs before the rain came in. Then I just split in the pouring rain. Looks like that’s the plan for tonight as well. :shut:

We surely could use some here. Less than an inch fell in June. Yet some areas less than 30 miles from us have had too much rain. Last Friday, for example, Saginaw received 2.6" and we received about 12 drops. It seems to go either to our north or south but misses us.

As for the wood pile, we finished in April and won't do any more until December.

TGun9590 said:
I finally gave up trying to dodged the rain storms, here in Portland Maine it has rained every single night for 3 weeks straight. I was able to cut up a bunch of logs before the rain came in. Then I just split in the pouring rain. Looks like that’s the plan for tonight as well. :shut:

I hear ya......its taken a strategic planning initiative to get my lawn mowed. Did finally finish last night before the rain hit up my way.

Will be taking tomorrow off to skid the logs I cut last weekend out of the woods.....then load them and get them over to my place. Supposed to be a nice hot/humid day for that. :roll:

We had like 12 inchs in June, new record. Flooding accross the midwest. Now the west nile virus and waterbord disease scares will start...Maybe lake Michigan will gain some ground...it was at a 50 year low. Also some damn are giving way and the Wisconsin Dells lost a lake and real estate. Yep, enough already for here!!!

I know it may seem odd, but we're in the opposite situation. We've had 11.83" for the year at my rain gauge, and only 1.13" for the month of June. I'm having to water daily.

I am not sure of the actual statistics for my area. But we have been getting a fair amount of rain this year. But one thing that does strike me odd is the extreme amount of very bad storms we have been having. Ether way, the north east is not ideal for seasoning fire wood anyway. At least here in the rust belt of Pittsburgh.

We've had basically no real rain since March here. As a result we have this:

This natural-color image from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite shows the state on June 25, 2008. Places where MODIS detected actively burning fires are outlined in red. (It is likely that additional fires were burning but could not be detected because of the thick smoke.) Fire activity is concentrated in Northern California, and the Sacramento Valley is filled with gray smoke. However, the largest fire in the scene is the Indians Fire, which was burning south of Salinas. That blaze was nearly 60,000 acres as of June 26, and about 70 percent contained. Just to the northeast is the Basin Complex Fire, which was about 20,000 acres. In the previous 24 hours, it grew more than 7,000 acres, and it was only 3 percent contained.

California_AMO_2008177.jpg

Smoke from the California fires is all the way up here in Central Oregon. Rick

"The Peoples Republic of California" should never stand for this. I'm surprised they haven't passed a law limiting how much a tree is allowed to smoke when on fire. What are they thinking out there?

Just watching on the local news last night they stated we had only 6 days during the month of June where it didn't rain. Seems like we had thunderstorms every night that rolled in right after the baby fell asleep.

Don't know where your at Backwoods, but here we had 7" overnight a few weeks back and 2.5" rain this evening with severe weather. Last winter we hit #2 spot for snow in last century...think we had 110".......Sign of things to come for this next winter ?

myzamboni....excellent report thanks, and here's hoping you guys get some rain very soon.

Rockey said:
"The Peoples Republic of California" should never stand for this. I'm surprised they haven't passed a law limiting how much a tree is allowed to smoke when on fire. What are they thinking out there?

LOL thats funny stuff right there!!! :lol: :lol:

11 Bravo said:
Don't know where your at Backwoods, but here we had 7" overnight a few weeks back and 2.5" rain this evening with severe weather. Last winter we hit #2 spot for snow in last century...think we had 110".......Sign of things to come for this next winter ?

We are between Lansing and Saginaw. Lawns were already turning brown in late May. I was gone for a couple weeks and some rain fell which helped, but not enough.

Fortunately, in the storms that rolled through last evening, we got 1.3". Hooray! But looking across the southern tier of counties, I'll bet a bunch fell down there. Also, we did not get any big storm. One was coming our way, but like normal, it petered out before it got here.

You are in an area which gets much more snowfall than we do. This just is not a deep snow area. However, 2 of the last 3 years we've got over 80" and that is more than I ever remember for this area. Now we'll probably get several winters with 24" or less. If so, I can cut wood all winter...if it doesn't get too cold. I'm too old to be out there cutting when the weather is raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.