1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Free and easy humidifier?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jimmieguns, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Any thoughts on placing a cast iron pot or regular pot of water on top of stove to help keep air from making it too dry in the house? A friend of mine with a free standing wood stove does it-- loves the added moisture she gets....does it work? is it safe for stove and surroundings? thoughts appreciated.. :)

***also posted this in Pellet room

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sailor61

sailor61 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Warwick, RI
    it's safe so long as you don't let it boil out and then dump water into the redhot pan. it helps but it does not solve the problem...only a humidifier will make an appreciable difference.
  3. Reckless

Reckless Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange county, NY
    Not to hijack but I have been keeping a pot on the stove and it only adds 3-5% on the humidity meter when running all day. What size humdifier would make a noticable difference? 2g/day?
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    As others have said . . . it helps a bit . . . I mostly continue to fill my steamer with water or potpourri for the nice smell . . . but the humidifier in the room does a much better job.

No safety issues . . . I mean maybe if you had it wicked hot and then dumped water in it. I just never let my steamer go empty.
  5. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
  6. Dustin92

Dustin92 Member

Loc:
    Jackson, MI, USA
    I went to goodwill and bought a stainless steel pot for $4 and I use that on top of our insert. I usually fill it a couple times a day, but our house is so dry, anything helps. (our furnace has a built in humidifier, but that cant even keep up) I usually add some liquid potpourri to the water to make it smell nice, and I take it off the stove when I go to bed. I wouldnt want it going dry, the pan has plastic handles.
  7. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    so do you want to put the pot on a pellet stove or a wood stove?

pen
  8. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    I put a pan that holds about 2 1/2 gallons of water at a time. When I home at I night I fill that thing up 2 times before I go to bed. It's clean steam, no worries about any nasty's in there to make you sick. So yes it can be done, just like heating with wood, it's work
  9. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    In an average size home - the kettle will not add significant humidity. If the dry air is really an issue, investigate a whole house unit ie Essick Moist Air - they have evaporative units that can humidify large homes. Can be found in local big box stores (HD)

And I would respectfully disagree with "fespo" regarding stove top kettles cleanliness and nasty's;
    --stove top (especially iron) kettles are a great breeding ground for "nastys"
    --can lead to rust and stains stove tops.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We have always kept water on the stove. It helps just a little on the humidity but it also gives us some nice warm water to use at various times. I think the pan of water on our stove helps just enough along with my wife drying the laundry near the stove to keep the humidity at decent levels. For sure when she does laundry, we have to keep the temperature down a little else it will roast us out.