Free Bird

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuneighty

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2012
SC PA
Had this in the freezer taking up space. A free 20lb turkey. It soaked outside in a brine all week, then in the fridge with a rub on it for a day.

DSC_1385-2.jpgDSC_1386-2.jpgDSC_1388-2.jpgDSC_1389-2.jpg

I did that with one of the Turkeys i got from work. Brined in apple cider and whiskey, smoked over apple. Holy goodness, it was awesome.

Never worked with a frozen bird for smoking. Is that why you brined so long? Overnight is usually what I do for a fresh bird.

I did that with one of the Turkeys i got from work. Brined in apple cider and whiskey, smoked over apple. Holy goodness, it was awesome.

That sounds divine. I added some ACV to my brine, as well as 10-15 bay leaves. I used a blend of Cherry, Pecan and Peach to smoke with. Just got a line on an orchard and will be getting my apple supply increased. Its hands down my favorite wood to use for smoking!

Never worked with a frozen bird for smoking. Is that why you brined so long? Overnight is usually what I do for a fresh bird.

Yes, I wanted it to thaw in the brine. After pulling it Friday night with hopes of cooking it then, it was still a bit frozen on the inside, so I placed a rub on it and let it finish thawing in the fridge.

Reactions: ScotO
Cherry is my favorite smoking wood for poultry. Cherry chunks with apple chips.

Pork (butt or ribs)- Hickory and/or Red Oak chunks with some fruit chips (cherry or apple). Red Oak gives a very pronounced smoke ring.

Pork (Ham)- Hickory and Cherry...been doing the double smoked recipe for the BGE with great success.

Fish- Don't really smoke fish, but will cook on a cedar plank for some mild flavoring.

Need to give some other wood types a try, but the family has been so happy with the above combos I've just stuck with it.

Reactions: ScotO and Tuneighty
Looks delicious!

Reactions: Tuneighty
Interesting. I've never been a huge fan of injecting before smoking, though our Christmas Ham I pumped full of vermont maple syrup. I might try that with a brisket flat...assuming the wife will buy the cider jack so no one thinks I'm drinking it. Never had much luck with just flats...packers cuts always come out great though. Speaking of that ham...if you're ever inclined to do your spice rub with spicy mustard as your base paste...don't save the stuff you get with your chinese take out for it. Might as well snort wasabi. It will clear your sinuses though.

A guy at work injects Cider Jack in his meats, particularly briskets. Poke 'em til they jiggle says he.

Need to give some other wood types a try, but the family has been so happy with the above combos I've just stuck with it.

Grape vines are pretty good.

Reactions: Tuneighty
Status
Not open for further replies.