Free Dead BTU's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
I scored some good sized sugarmaple rounds down my street, the rest is collected from around my yard.....
.....that red maple is a dead give-away in my stack.....the rest is ash

WoodButcher

Attachments

• freewood.jpg
    freewood.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 383
Nice looking wood. Free wood burns the best.
I have a lot of red and white maple in my stacks.
You've got some splitting to do in the bigger pieces, but will you split the new smaller rounds? They look like 3" - 7" diameter.
Happy burning.

Great find! btw, red maple and sugar maple are not the same thing.

Backwoods Savage said:
Great find! btw, red maple and sugar maple are not the same thing.
They sure are not the same thing !........95% of every red maple I've cut over the years has that dark "star shaped" stain in the middle, and when its seasoned it's really light and burns fast (usually I save it for shoulder wood or makes great kindling)
My neighbor gave me a whole cord of it for free some years ago.......it had been sitting in rounds for over a year......I was tossing them into the truck like they were nothing.
Free wood is free wood but I wouldn’t want a whole grapple load of Red maple I'll tell ya that ! I defiantly prefer Sugar Maple.

WoodButcher

Yep, there is a difference. Both will season fast though. I split about 2 cord of sugar maple and it is already dry after about 3 1/2 months. MC was 22% when I split a piece and checked it. And it still has some weight. Not like the red maple...balsam wood!

burntime said:
Yep, there is a difference. Both will season fast though. I split about 2 cord of sugar maple and it is already dry after about 3 1/2 months. MC was 22% when I split a piece and checked it. And it still has some weight. Not like the red maple...balsam wood!

"Balsam Swamp Maple"
"Styrofoam Maple"
"Red Cardboard"
"Light as Hell Swamp BTU"

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.