Free firewood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
1234567890.jpg

Help yourself!

I like that it is off the ground. Looks like you can back right up to it.::P

Jeez, I hope that is not YOUR offer....:eek:

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
How do you explain to the dealer that is sharpening your chain that you "car'ed" your chain??

I have read a few post over the years that very well could have been a car'ed chain. ;)

Great picture, allot said there:
Having a bad day
Near 100°, power is out
Can't sit in the car to cool down, tires need more air & his chain saw is in the back seat.
Now someone with a "Sadistic addiction" is coming by to cut fire wood.
Wish I lived close ;)

Moral of the story, pay your comprehensive insurance bill !

Ouch_g.....Loading it that way is a little rough on the suspension....

That's Oak! Now let's ID the car! Must be be good firewood scrounging back east after the storms this week?

As for species of the car, I'm going with a 2005 Ford Explorer. Getting rid of that tree looks like a crane job. I wouldn't want to mess with a monster oak suspended five feet off the ground.

What an awesome picture!
Good ad for BF Goodrich:
"when all else fails, your tires wont"

Well, at least they dont have to pick up acorns from the yard now.

I saw a car with a tree on it like that when we drove through that storm last Friday night on I-95 in Virginia....no chit! Wasn't quite that big, but imagine a tree falling on your car while driving down the interstate!

I saw a car with a tree on it like that when we drove through that storm last Friday night on I-95 in Virginia....no chit! Wasn't quite that big, but imagine a tree falling on your car while driving down the interstate!
Hope no one was hurt, but they were DEFINITELY having a bad day!

Reactions: ScotO
I don't know if anyone was hurt,it more-or-less landed across the hood/windshield area. But if they were moving at any rate of speed, I would venture to say that it didn't tickle!

I don't know if anyone was hurt,it more-or-less landed across the hood/windshield area. But if they were moving at any rate of speed, I would venture to say that it didn't tickle!
If that were one of us, and we miraculously were not hurt--do you think we would try to claim the scroung??:rolleyes:

I quietly yearned for my chainsaw, truck, and trailer on that long ride home in our minivan! ;)

I'm a little disappointed in you Scotty. I figured you'd be packin' at least one of those 041s in the mini. :p

I'm a little disappointed in you Scotty. I figured you'd be packin' at least one of those 041s in the mini. :p

I was gonna stuff one in the "stow-n-go" seat area, but wifey already had it filled up! :(

That would fall under a (no pun intended) "Excuse me while I go change my shorts" moment.

Reactions: ScotO and firebroad
Birch trees here blow over with the root ball, spruce snap off a few feet above the ground. Usually in winter wind storms.
After a birch came thru the garage wall one christmas, that summer, all the old growth trees with in range of the house became firewood :)
Big trees are nice shade trees, but the size & weight of the big trees back east, any within range of any house should be pruned or become fire wood.

IMO, the home owners need to be responsible for their trees & keep their property maintained or have extra insurance.
Seems to be allot of wind blown big trees causing allot of damage;
Time to fire up some chain saws & do some preventive maintenance on any tree near homes & power lines.
When trees are on ROW,s if the home owner don't want the tree fell or pruned,
have them take out an extra insurance policy for any damage it may do, they may re-consider their options.
If you had to pay for the damage your tree/s caused, you may be a little more "pro-active" in keeping it/them safe :)

There'd be lots of fire wood available for a few years to be scrounged LOL

Pic in this thread is to my point, why is a tree this tall & huge growing near a house, road or power line ? We all know it is eventually going to fall. Duh.

Sorry Dave, I ain't cutting my shade down. I would feel naked in the summer time and probably double my electric bill. That is why I have insurance.

Birch trees here blow over with the root ball, spruce snap off a few feet above the ground. Usually in winter wind storms.
After a birch came thru the garage wall one christmas, that summer, all the old growth trees with in range of the house became firewood :)
Big trees are nice shade trees, but the size & weight of the big trees back east, any within range of any house should be pruned or become fire wood.

IMO, the home owners need to be responsible for their trees & keep their property maintained or have extra insurance.
Seems to be allot of wind blown big trees causing allot of damage;
Time to fire up some chain saws & do some preventive maintenance on any tree near homes & power lines.
When trees are on ROW,s if the home owner don't want the tree fell or pruned,
have them take out an extra insurance policy for any damage it may do, they may re-consider their options.
If you had to pay for the damage your tree/s caused, you may be a little more "pro-active" in keeping it/them safe :)

There'd be lots of fire wood available for a few years to be scrounged LOL

Pic in this thread is to my point, why is a tree this tall & huge growing near a house, road or power line ? We all know it is eventually going to fall. Duh.

I can't say we're on the same page. The winds produced by the line of storms that went through exceeded that of Hurricane Irene...the phenomenon is callled a "derecho". In NJ, you need a permit to take a poop. Cutting down a tree without a permit will expose me to a serious fine, although I can't speak for the domicile where this incident occurred. Suffice to say, with the feds, states and municipalities being broke as a joke, any construction or tree work that could necessitate a permit will get somebody's attention. A neighbor down the road from me has a giant chestnut no more than twenty feet from their front door. It drops nuts, leaves, crud, bird poop etc on their house 24-7, 365. They can't cut it down because the state of NJ has deemed it a "historic tree". What would you say if that tree fell during a storm and crushed a car, their house, ??? Stuff happens, and sometimes there ain't a dang thing you can do about it. I ain't trying to start a scuffle Dave, just saying that we can't always do what we want because of regs. I've got hickory ash and oak on my property that I'd love to turn into firewood, but NJ would fine me more than my son's college education.

Looked like a healthy tree. Chit happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.