Free Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
That disease thats been killing hemlocks (I forget what its called) has seemed to have got most of the hemlock in my neighborhood. I cut 5 down in my yard a few weeks back and helped my neighbor with two in his yard, he now knows I burn so he gave me his wood and today he cut another down in his yard and one in our other neighbors yard, he knocked on my door and asked me if I wanted to drive my truck over and get the wood, of course I did, he has them cut to my stove length to boot.
Our other neighbor has three more dead ones he wants us to cut down for him since he has a bad back so we'll do that next weekend or the weekend after.
Its good shoulder season wood so Ive been taking it all, should be good for 13-14

IMG_5931.JPG

Reactions: Gark
The Hemlock Wooly Adelgid is the thing killing Hemlocks. It is an aphid and you can easily see them along the twigs of an infested tree. Lots of Hemlocks are dying here too.

Nice score for you.
Get them down before the come down on their own ;)
Wonder if the mild winters have accelerated the insect infestation?

The Hemlock Wooly Adelgid is the thing killing Hemlocks. It is an aphid and you can easily see them along the twigs of an infested tree. Lots of Hemlocks are dying here too.

Yes, thats it, thanks, Ive seen them couldnt remember the name. Im falling behind again in my splitting, sure would be nice to have a good splitter, may buy myself a gift soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.